The Legal Services Division provides the following expert legal services to members of the General Assembly in an objective nonpartisan manner.
- Bill and amendment drafting
- Legal and legislative research
- Official Iowa law publications
- Standing committee staffing
- Legislative Council, statutory, and interim study committee staffing
Bill drafting services are also provided to state agencies, the judicial branch, and the Governor. Division staff is precluded by statute from making public policy recommendations.
The division includes the following offices:
- Administrative Code Office
- Tables and Indexing Unit