CHAPTER 63EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS AND SERVICESFOR PUPILS IN JUVENILE HOMES[Prior to 9/7/88, see Public Instruction Department Ch 42]28163.1(282) Scope. These rules apply to the provision of educational programs in juvenile shelter care homes and juvenile detention homes.28163.2(282) Definitions. 63.2(1) Special programs cited in 1999 Iowa Code section 282.30 shall be referred to as juvenile shelter care homes and juvenile detention homes, and shall be referred to jointly as juvenile homes. 63.2(2) For purposes of this chapter, “school corporation” shall refer to school districts, area education agencies, and community colleges. 63.2(3) For purposes of this chapter, “aides” shall refer to aides and para-educators as defined in Iowa Code section 272.12.28163.3(282) Forms. 63.3(1) The department of education shall provide forms to area education agencies (AEAs) for submitting program and budget proposals and for submitting claims. The annual dates for filing forms with the department of education are January 1 of the prior fiscal year for AEAs to submit program and budget proposals, and August 1 of the subsequent fiscal year for AEAs to file claims. The department of education shall review and approve or modify the program and budget proposals and shall notify the AEA by February 1. 63.3(2) The department of education shall also provide forms to AEAs for use by the juvenile homes requesting educational services. These forms must be filed with the AEA annually by December 1 of the fiscal year prior to the school year for which the services are being requested or 90 days prior to the beginning of the time for which the services are being requested if the facility is a newly established facility. An AEA shall file a budget amendment for a newly established juvenile home requesting educational services 90 days prior to the initial delivery of the educational services.28163.4(282) Budget amendments. An AEA shall amend the budget during the fiscal year in which actual classrooms implemented are different than budgeted or there is a significant decrease or increase in the student membership that would change the number of teachers or aides necessary to support the average daily membership. An amendment shall also be required if actual expenditures vary significantly from expenditures which were budgeted. A significant variance in actual expenditures means that the amount of funding which would be reverted to or due from the state equals or exceeds 10 percent of the advance payments in the subsequent year prior to adjustments.28163.5(282) Area education agency responsibility. An AEA shall provide or make provision for an appropriate educational program for each child living in the following types of facilities located within its boundaries:
- An approved or licensed shelter care home, as defined in Iowa Code subsection 232.2(34).
- An approved juvenile detention home, as defined in Iowa Code subsection 232.2(32).
- Funding received pursuant to Iowa Code section 282.31,
- Educational excellence funding received pursuant to Iowa Code chapter 294A for teachers in the juvenile home program,
- Tuition revenue from the district of residence or agency in another state for educational services provided for out-of-state students,
- Tuition revenue from the district of residence for educational services for students provided a special education program pursuant to an IEP, and
- Other miscellaneous funding received or accrued for the purpose of operating the juvenile home instructional programs.