Born March 22, 1810, at Canaan, Grafton County, New Hampshire, the son of George Walworth and Philura Jones. Mr. Walworth lived and farmed with his family at Canaan until about 1836, when the family moved to Alton, Illinois. The move probably occurred at that time because of strong anti-Abolitionist feelings in Canaan, directed against George Walworth’s father and others who favored racial integration of the newly-established Noyes Academy. At Alton, Mr. Walworth opened a hardware store. Mr. George Kimball and Mr. Hubbard Harris, who had also left Canaan, New Hampshire, after the Noyes Academy controversy, established a dry goods store in the same building. On November 7, 1837, Mr. Walworth was one of a group of men who attempted to stop a pro-slavery gang from destroying a printing press used for abolitionist literature. One of the defenders was shot and killed. Both the attackers and defenders were brought to court in January 1838, for rioting, but all were found “not guilty.” Mr. Walworth left Illinois shortly after the trial, and came to Jones County, Iowa, where in February 1838 he, Gideon Ford and Timothy Davis built a log cabin and sawmill at the Buffalo Forks on the Wapsipinicon River, the first settlement near present-day Anamosa. Mr. Walworth was also given credit, along with Daniel Varvel, for first platting the village of Monticello. He represented Jones and Linn counties in the Iowa Legislative Assembly in 1839-1840 and 1840-1841, and Jones and Cedar counties in 1842-1843 and 1843-1844. By 1848, Mr. Walworth had moved to New Orleans, Louisiana, where he and Caleb Stone had established Stone & Walworth, a warehousing and shipping establishment. Their partnership ended in February 1853. Mr. Walworth had acquired over 2300 acres of land and a large herd of horses in Gonzales County, Texas, near San Antonio, but he died in an accident at Dallas, Texas on September 2, 1853.