Senator Dennis H. Black
- Agriculture (01/14/2013 - 01/11/2015)
- Appropriations (01/14/2013 - 01/11/2015)
- Natural Resources and Environment (Vice Chair) (01/14/2013 - 01/11/2015)
- Veterans Affairs (01/14/2013 - 01/11/2015)
- Ways and Means (01/14/2013 - 01/11/2015)
- Agriculture and Natural Resources Appropriations Subcommittee (Chair) (01/14/2013 - 01/11/2015)
- International Relations Committee (01/14/2013 - 01/11/2015)
- American Civil War Sesquicentennial Advisory Committee (06/17/2009 - 01/11/2015)
- Watershed Improvement Review Board (01/28/2013 - 01/11/2015)
Served six terms in House. Serving fifth term in Senate.
Retired professional conservationist of 35 years; writer of Civil War history and individual vignettes on military valor and intrepidity.
Received B.S. in forest management and M.S. in natural resource economics from Utah State University.
Memberships and Activities
Board of Directors, Iowa Earthpark; Board of Directors, Jasper Community Foundation; Society of American Foresters; Regional coordinator and research director, Medal of Honor Historical Society of America. Author: Over 300 professional and technical publications on natural resources management and protection. Author, “Profiles of Valor, Iowa’s Medal of Honor Recipients, Civil War.” Author, “Profiles of Valor, Iowa’s Medal of Honor Recipients, Indian Wars through Vietnam.” Co-author: CD-Rom, “Iowa’s Medal of Honor Recipients.” Photographs and personal narrative of 115 Medal of Honor Recipients with attachments to the state of Iowa. Legislative liaison for international trade, Southeast Asia, primarily Taiwan. Selected 16 times as “Legislator of the Year” by various business and natural resources interests.
Birth and Residence
Born in 1939 in Randolph, Nebraska. Resides in rural area near Lynnville.
Wife, Faun; two sons, one daughter, and five grandchildren.