Born in November 1851 in Illinois. He was married in 1879 to Margaret J. He was a school teacher in Sioux Rapids, Buena Vista, Iowa. He then moved to Peterson, Iowa where he was a banker and an attorney. The Peterson Bank was established in 1888 by C. W. Fillmore and H. S. Parker. These gentlemen continued the bank until 1902, when they sold their business. Charles Fillmore built the Peterson waterworks and he served as mayor of Peterson. He was elected to represent Clay county in the Twentieth Iowa General Assembly.