Senator Merlin E. Bartz View All Years
- General Assembly: 83 (01/12/2009 - 01/09/2011) ▼
- General Assembly: 84 (01/10/2011 - 01/13/2013)
- General Assembly: 83 (01/12/2009 - 01/09/2011)
- General Assembly: 79 (01/08/2001 - 01/12/2003)
- General Assembly: 78 (01/11/1999 - 01/07/2001)
- General Assembly: 77 (01/13/1997 - 01/10/1999)
- General Assembly: 76 (01/09/1995 - 01/12/1997)
- General Assembly: 75 (01/11/1993 - 01/08/1995)
- General Assembly: 74 (01/14/1991 - 01/10/1993)
83 (2009) - 84 (2011)
Previously served one term in House and three terms in Senate. Currently serving fourth term in Senate
Farmer and factory worker 1983-1990. State Representative 1991-1992. State Senator 1993-2002. United States Department of Agriculture in Washington, D.C., 2002-2007, Special Assistant to the Under Secretary of Natural Resources and Environment and Central Regional Assistant Chief for Natural Resources Conservation Service.
Received B.A. (cum laude) in political science and music from Luther College, 1983. Iowa to India Rotary Cultural Exchange Team, 1990. Darden School of Business. University of Virginia Leadership Class, 1994. Harvard University John F. Kennedy School of Government Crisis Management Program, 2005.
Memberships and Activities
Served on the Lutheran Social Service and on the BIOWA boards. Current or former member Worth County Historical Society, Pork & Cattle Producers, Farm Bureau, Farmers Union, Soybean and Corn Growers Associations, Pheasants Forever, Ducks Unlimited, and Iowa Parks Foundation.
Birth and Residence
Born in 1961 in Mason City. Resides near Grafton.
Wife Lisa; one son and two daughters.
83rd GA (2009)
- Care of Animals in Commercial Enterprises Study Committee (07/01/2009 - 06/30/2010)
- Levee and Drainage District Law Study Committee (11/10/2010 - 12/31/2010)
- Mental Health and Disability Services Commission (05/04/2009 - 08/09/2009)
- Sustainable Natural Resource Funding Advisory Committee (02/05/2009 - 07/01/2010)