Subject to additional definitions contained in subsequent articles of this chapter which apply to specific articles or its parts, and unless the context otherwise requires, in this chapter:
1. "Building and housing codes" include a law, ordinance, or governmental regulation concerning fitness for habitation, or the construction, maintenance, operation, occupancy, use, or appearance of a premises or dwelling unit.
2. "Business" includes a corporation, government, governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, two or more persons having a joint or common interest, and any other legal or commercial entity.
3. "Dwelling unit" means a structure or the part of a structure that is used as a home, residence, or sleeping place.
4. "Good faith" means honesty in fact in the conduct of the transaction concerned.
5. "Landlord" means the owner, lessor, or sublessor of the dwelling unit or the building of which it is a part, and it also means a manager of the premises who fails to disclose as required by section 562A.13.
6. "Owner" means one or more persons, jointly or severally, in whom is vested:
a. All or part of the legal title to property; or
b. All or part of the beneficial ownership and a right to present use and enjoyment of the premises, and the term includes a mortgagee in possession.
7. "Premises" means a dwelling unit and the structure of which it is a part and facilities and appurtenances of it and grounds, areas and facilities held out for the use of tenants generally or whose use is promised to the tenant.
8. "Reasonable attorney's fees" means fees determined by the time reasonably expended by the attorney and not by the amount of the recovery on behalf of the tenant or landlord.
9. "Rent" means a payment to be made to the landlord under the rental agreement.
10. "Rental agreement" means an agreement written or oral, and a valid rule, adopted under section 562A.18, embodying the terms and conditions concerning the use and occupancy of a dwelling unit and premises.
11. "Rental deposit" means a deposit of money to secure performance of a residential rental agreement, other than a deposit which is exclusively in advance payment of rent.
12. "Roomer" means a person occupying a dwelling unit that lacks a major bathroom or kitchen facility, in a structure where one or more major facilities are used in common by occupants of the dwelling unit and other dwelling units. Major facility in the case of a bathroom means toilet, or either a bath or shower, and in the case of a kitchen means refrigerator, stove or sink.
13. "Single family residence" means a structure maintained and used as a single dwelling unit. Notwithstanding that a dwelling unit shares one or more walls with another dwelling unit, it is a single family residence if it has direct access to a street or thoroughfare and shares neither heating facilities, hot water equipment, nor any other essential facility or service with another dwelling unit.
14. "Tenant" means a person entitled under a rental agreement to occupy a dwelling unit to the exclusion of another.
15. "Transitional housing" means temporary or nonpermanent housing.
[C79, 81, § 562A.6]
95 Acts, ch 125, §3
Previous Section 562A.5
Next Section 562A.7
© 2003 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Tue Jan 28 13:52:42 CST 2003