1. The Iowa Lewis and Clark bicentennial commission is established in the department of economic development for purposes of coordinating and promoting the observance of this state's bicentennial commemoration of the Lewis and Clark expedition. The commission shall be organized and shall operate as a nonprofit corporation within this state in accordance with chapter 504A.
2. The commission shall be composed of seven members consisting of all of the following:
a. The director of the department of cultural affairs, or the director's designee.
b. The administrator of the division of tourism within the department of economic development, or the administrator's designee.
c. The administrator of the parks and preserves division within the department of natural resources, or the administrator's designee.
d. The administrator of the historical division within the department of cultural affairs, or the administrator's designee.
e. The remaining three members shall be appointed by the governor, subject to confirmation by the senate. The members appointed by the governor shall have an interest or expertise in the history of the Lewis and Clark expedition. At least one of the members appointed by the governor shall be a member of an Indian tribe encountered by the Lewis and Clark expedition.
3. The members appointed by the governor shall be appointed in compliance with sections 69.16 and 69.16A and shall serve three-year terms beginning and ending as provided by section 69.19. Members appointed by the governor may be reappointed.
4. The commission shall annually elect a chairperson and vice chairperson from the members of the commission.
5. Commission members shall serve without compensation, but shall be reimbursed for actual and necessary expenses.
2000 Acts, ch 1127, §1, 6
Previous Section 15.205
Next Section 15.222
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001