Except as provided in section 455C.4:
1. A dealer shall not refuse to accept from a consumer any empty beverage container of the kind, size and brand sold by the dealer, or refuse to pay to the consumer the refund value of a beverage container as provided under section 455C.2.
2. A distributor shall accept and pick up from a dealer served by the distributor or a redemption center for a dealer served by the distributor at least weekly, or when the distributor delivers the beverage product if deliveries are less frequent than weekly, any empty beverage container of the kind, size and brand sold by the distributor, and shall pay to the dealer or person operating a redemption center the refund value of a beverage container and the reimbursement as provided under section 455C.2 within one week following pickup of the containers or when the dealer or redemption center normally pays the distributor for the deposit on beverage products purchased from the distributor if less frequent than weekly. A distributor or employee or agent of a distributor is not in violation of this subsection if a redemption center is closed when the distributor attempts to make a regular delivery or a regular pickup of empty beverage containers. This subsection does not apply to a distributor selling alcoholic liquor to the alcoholic beverages division of the department of commerce.
3. A distributor shall not be required to pay to a manufacturer a deposit or refund value on a nonrefillable beverage container.
4. A distributor shall accept from a dealer agent any empty beverage container of the kind, size, and brand sold by the distributor and which was picked up by the dealer agent from a dealer within the geographic territory served by the distributor and the distributor shall pay the dealer agent the refund value of the empty beverage container and the reimbursement as provided in section 455C.2.
5. The alcoholic beverages division of the department of commerce shall provide for the disposal of empty beverage containers as required under subsection 2. The division shall give priority consideration to the recycling of the empty beverage containers to the extent possible, before any other appropriate disposal method is considered or implemented.
[C79, 81, § 455C.3]
83 Acts, ch 84, § 1; 88 Acts, ch 1200, § 3; 89 Acts, ch 272, § 36, 42; 90 Acts, ch 1261, § 43, 44; 91 Acts, ch 268, § 442, 443; 92 Acts, ch 1242, § 35, 38, 39, 40, 47
Referred to in § 455C.12
Previous Section 455C.2
Next Section 455C.4
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999