For purposes of this chapter there is a rebuttable presumption that a natural person is a resident of this state if any of the following elements exist:
1. The person has filed for a homestead tax exemption on property in this state.
2. The person is a veteran who has filed for a military tax exemption on property in this state.
3. The person is registered to vote in this state.
4. The person enrolls the person's child to be educated in a public elementary or secondary school in this state.
5. The person is receiving public assistance from this state.
6. The person resides or has continuously remained in this state for a period exceeding thirty days except for infrequent or brief absences.
7. The person has accepted employment or engages in any trade, profession, or occupation within this state, except as provided in section 321.55.
"Resident" does not include a person who is attending a college or university in this state, if the person has a domicile in another state and has a valid driver's license issued by the state of domicile. "Resident" also does not include members of the armed forces that are stationed in Iowa, providing that their vehicles are properly registered in their state of residency.
A corporation, association, partnership, company, firm, or other aggregation of individuals whose principal place of business is located within this state is a resident of this state.
83 Acts, ch 125, § 1; 90 Acts, ch 1230, § 15; 98 Acts, ch 1073, §9
Referred to in § 483A.1A
Previous Section 321.1
Next Section 321.2
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999