1. The commission shall establish a loan reserve account from which any default on a guaranteed student loan shall be paid. The commission shall credit to this account all moneys designated exclusively for the reserve fund by the United States, the state of Iowa or any of their agencies, departments or instrumentalities, as well as any funds accruing to the program which are not required for current administrative expenses. The department of management shall determine the actuarially sound reserve requirement for the amount of guaranteed loans outstanding.
2. The general assembly shall appropriate moneys from the loan reserve account of the commission to the college student aid commission for operating costs of the guaranteed loan program. Moneys appropriated from the loan reserve account for operating costs of the guaranteed loan program that are unencumbered or unobligated on June 30 of a fiscal year shall revert to the loan reserve account of the commission.
3. The payment of any funds for the default on a guaranteed student loan shall be solely from the loan reserve account. The general assembly shall not be obligated to appropriate any moneys to pay for any defaults or to appropriate any moneys to be credited to the loan reserve account. The commission shall not give or lend the credit of the state of Iowa.
4. Funds on deposit in the loan reserve account or in the administrative account shall not revert to the state general fund at the close of any fiscal year.
5. The treasurer of state shall invest any funds, including those in the loan reserve account, and the interest income earned shall be credited back to the loan reserve account.
6. The commission may exceed the full- time equivalent positions authorized and may expend moneys in the loan reserve account in excess of the amounts appropriated to the commission under subsection 2, if additional positions or funding are needed to meet federal regulatory requirements or mandates or if previous contract costs or loan guarantee volume estimates are exceeded, in order to maintain loan guarantee operations. At least two weeks prior to a full-time equivalent position authorization adjustment or to a transfer of additional moneys from the reserve account, the commission shall notify the chairpersons and ranking members of the standing appropriations committees of the general assembly and the co-chairpersons and ranking members of the education appropriations subcommittee of the proposed adjustment or transfer. The notice shall include specific information concerning the amount of, and reason for, the adjustment or transfer. The chairpersons and ranking members shall have at least two weeks' time to review and comment on the proposed adjustment or transfer before the adjustment or transfer is made.
7. The commission may expend funds in the reserve account and enter into agreements with the Iowa student loan liquidity corporation in order to increase access for students to education loan programs that the commission determines meet the education needs of Iowa residents. The agreements shall permit the establishment, funding, and operation of alternative education loan programs, as described in section 144(b)(1)(B) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 as amended, as defined in section 422.3, in addition to programs permitted under the federal Higher Education Act of 1965. In accordance with those agreements, the Iowa student loan liquidity corporation may issue bonds, notes, or other obligations to the public and others for the purpose of funding the alternative education loan programs. This authority to issue such bonds, notes, or other obligations shall be in addition to the authority established in the articles of incorporation and bylaws of the Iowa student loan liquidity corporation.
Bonds, notes, or other obligations issued by the Iowa student loan liquidity corporation are not an obligation of this state or any political subdivision of this state within the meaning of any constitutional or statutory debt limitations, but are special obligations of the Iowa student loan liquidity corporation, and the corporation shall not pledge the credit or taxing power of this state or any political subdivision of this state, or make its debts payable out of any of the moneys except those of the corporation.
[C71, 73, 75, 77, § 261.5, 261.8; C79, 81, § 261.38]
86 Acts, ch 1246, § 26, 27; 89 Acts, ch 300, § 7; 90 Acts, ch 1253, § 122; 91 Acts, ch 180, §4, 5; 92 Acts, ch 1246, §31
Previous Section 261.37
Next Section 261.39
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999