1. A person shall not intentionally or knowingly do any of the following:
a. Perform or attempt to perform human cloning.
b. Participate in performing or in an attempt to perform human cloning.
c. Transfer or receive a cloned human embryo for any purpose.
d. Transfer or receive, in whole or in part, any oocyte, human embryo, fetus, or human somatic cell, for the purpose of human cloning.
2. This section shall not restrict areas of scientific research not specifically prohibited, including in vitro fertilization; the administration of fertility-enhancing drugs; or research in the use of nuclear transfer or other cloning techniques to produce molecules, deoxyribonucleic acid, tissues, organs, plants, animals other than humans, or cells other than human embryos.
3. a. A person who violates subsection 1, paragraph "a" or "b", is guilty of a class "C" felony.
b. A person who violates subsection 1, paragraph "c" or "d", is guilty of an aggravated misdemeanor.
4. A person who violates this section in a manner that results in a pecuniary gain to the person is subject to a civil penalty in an amount that is twice the amount of the gross gain.
5. A person who violates this section and who is licensed pursuant to chapter 148, 150, or 150A is subject to revocation of the person's license.
6. A violation of this section is grounds for denial of an application for, denial of renewal of, or revocation of any license, permit, certification, or any other form of permission required to practice or engage in any trade, occupation, or profession regulated by the state.
2002 Acts, ch 1127, §4
Previous Section 707B.3
Next Section 708.1
© 2004 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Jan 15 10:49:41 CST 2004