1. A mark and its registration under this chapter is assignable with the good will of the business in which the mark is used or with that part of the good will of the business connected with the use of and symbolized by the mark. Assignment shall be by a duly executed written instrument which may be recorded with the secretary upon the payment of a recording fee to the secretary, who, upon recording of the assignment, shall issue a new certificate in the name of the assignee for the remainder of the term of the assigned registration or of the last renewal of the registration. An assignment of a registration under this chapter shall be void as against any subsequent purchase for valuable consideration without notice, unless the assignment is recorded with the secretary within three months after the date of the assignment or prior to such subsequent purchase.
2. A registrant or applicant effecting a change of the name of the person to whom the mark was issued or for whom an application was filed may record a certificate of change of name of the registrant or applicant with the secretary upon the payment of the recording fee. The secretary may issue a certificate of registration of an assigned application in the name of the assignee. The secretary may issue in the name of the assignee, a new certificate or registration for the remainder of the term of the registration or last renewal of the registration.
3. Other instruments which relate to a mark registered or application pending pursuant to this chapter, such as, by way of example, licenses, security interests, or mortgages, may be recorded in the discretion of the secretary, if such instrument is in writing and duly executed.
4. Acknowledgment shall be prima facie evidence of the execution of an assignment or other instrument and, when recorded by the secretary, the record shall be prima facie evidence of execution.
5. A photocopy of any instrument referred to in subsections 1 through 3, shall be accepted for recording if it is certified by any of the parties to the registration, or their successors, to be a true and correct copy of the original.
[C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, § 548.5; C71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, §548.6]
94 Acts, ch 1090, §7
Previous Section 548.106
Next Section 548.108
© 2004 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Jan 15 10:49:41 CST 2004