1. Said primary road fund is hereby appropriated for and shall be used in the establishment, construction and maintenance of the primary road system, including the drainage, grading, surfacing, construction of bridges and culverts, the elimination or improvement of railroad crossings, the acquiring of additional right-of-way, all other expense incurred in the construction and maintenance of said primary road system and the maintenance and housing of the department.
The department may expend moneys from the fund for dust control on a secondary road or municipal street within a municipal street system when there is a notable increase in traffic on the secondary road or municipal street due to closure of a road by the department for purposes of establishing, constructing, or maintaining a primary road.
2. Such fund is also appropriated and shall be used for the construction, reconstruction, improvement and maintenance of state institutional roads and state park roads and bridges on such roads and roads and bridges on community college property as provided in subsection 11 of section 307A.2, for restoration of secondary roads used as primary road detours and for compensation of counties for such use, for restoration of municipal streets so used and for compensation of cities for such use, and for the payments required in section 307.45.
3. There is appropriated from funds appropriated to the department which would otherwise revert to the primary road fund pursuant to the provisions of the Act appropriating the funds or chapter 8, an amount sufficient to pay the increase in salaries, which increase is not otherwise provided for by the general assembly in an appropriation bill, resulting from the annual review of the merit pay plan as provided in subsection 2 of section 19A.9. The appropriation herein provided shall be in effect from the effective date of the revised pay plan to the end of the fiscal biennium in which it becomes effective.
4. Such fund is appropriated and shall be used by the department to provide energy and for the operation and maintenance of those primary road freeway lighting systems within the corporate boundaries of cities including energy and maintenance costs associated with interchange conflict lighting on existing and future freeway and expressway segments constructed to interstate standards.
The costs of serving freeway lighting for each utility providing the service shall be determined by the utilities division of the department of commerce, and rates for such service shall be no higher than necessary to recover these costs. Funds received under the provisions of this subsection shall be used solely for the operation and maintenance of a freeway lighting system.
5. During the fiscal year beginning July 1, 1990, and ending June 30, 1991, and each subsequent fiscal year, the department shall spend from the primary road fund an amount of not less than thirty million dollars for the network of commercial and industrial highways.
[C24, § 4690; C27, 31, 35, § 4755-b4; C39, § 4755.04; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 313.4]
88 Acts, ch 1019, § 6; 90 Acts, ch 1253, § 120; 92 Acts, ch 1163, § 74; 92 Acts, ch 1238, § 29; 99 Acts, ch 118, §1; 2000 Acts, ch 1017, §1
Previous Section 313.3
Next Section 313.5
© 2003 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Tue Jan 28 13:52:42 CST 2003