The department's administrator of planning and research shall:
1. Assist the director in planning all modes of transportation in order to develop an integrated transportation system providing adequate transportation services for all citizens of the state.
2. Develop and maintain transportation statistical data for the department.
3. Assist the director in establishing, analyzing and evaluating alternative transportation policies for the state.
4. Co-ordinate planning and research duties and responsibilities with the planning functions carried on by other administrators of the department.
5. Conduct a study of the road and bridge facilities in state parks, state institutions, state fairgrounds, and on community college property. The study shall evaluate the construction and maintenance needs and projected needs based upon estimated growth for each type of facility to provide a quadrennially updated standard upon which to allocate funds appropriated for the purposes of this subsection.
6. Prepare, adopt, and cause to be published the results of a study of secondary roads in the state. The study shall be designed to investigate present deficiencies and future twenty-year maintenance and construction needs of the roads. The study shall be referred to as the "quadrennial need study" for the purposes of this chapter, chapter 307A, and chapter 312. The department shall report the results of the study to the general assembly by July 1, 2002, and the study results shall take effect July 1, 2003.
7. Annually recalculate the construction and maintenance needs of roads under the jurisdiction of each county to take into account the needs of a road whose jurisdiction has been transferred from the department to a county or from a county to the department during the previous year. The recalculation shall be reported by January 1 of the year following the transfer and shall take effect the following July 1 for the purposes of allocating moneys under sections 312.3 and 312.5.
8. Perform such other planning functions as may be assigned by the director.
The functions of planning and research do not include the detailed design of highways or other modal transportation facilities, but are restricted to the needs of this state for multimodal transportation systems.
[C75, 77, 79, 81, § 307.22]
86 Acts, ch 1245, § 1912, 1913; 2002 Acts, ch 1063, §6, 16
Previous Section 307.21
Next Section 307.23
© 2003 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Tue Jan 28 13:52:42 CST 2003