As used in this chapter or in any chapter of the Code relating to highways:
1. "Area service" or "area service system" means those secondary roads that are not part of the farm-to-market road system.
2. "County conservation parkways" or "county conservation parkway system" means those parkways located wholly within the boundaries of county lands operated as parks, forests, or public access areas.
3. "Farm-to-market roads" or "farm-to-market road system" means those county jurisdiction intracounty and intercounty roads which serve principal traffic generating areas and connect such areas to other farm-to-market roads and primary roads. The farm-to-market road system includes those county jurisdiction roads providing service for short-distance intracounty and intercounty traffic or providing connections between farm-to-market roads and area service roads, and includes those secondary roads which are federal aid eligible. The farm-to-market road system shall not exceed thirty-five thousand miles.
4. "Interstate roads" or "interstate road system" means those roads and streets of the primary road system that are designated by the secretary of the United States department of transportation as the national system of interstate and defense highways in Iowa.
5. "Municipal street system" means those streets within municipalities that are not primary roads.
6. "Primary roads" or "primary road system" means those roads and streets both inside and outside the boundaries of municipalities which are under department jurisdiction.
7. "Public road right-of-way" means an area of land, the right to possession of which is secured or reserved by the state or a governmental subdivision for roadway purposes. The right-of-way for all secondary roads is sixty-six feet in width, unless otherwise specified by the county board of supervisors of the respective counties.
8. "Road" or "street" means the entire width between property lines through private property or the designated width through public property of every way or place of whatever nature if any part of such way or place is open to the use of the public, as a matter of right, for purposes of vehicular traffic.
9. "Secondary roads" or "secondary road system" means those roads under county jurisdiction.
10. "State park, state institution, and other state land road system" consists of those roads and streets wholly within the boundaries of state lands operated as parks, or on which institutions or other state governmental agencies are located.
[C24, 27, § 4636; C31, 35, § 4644-c2; C39, § 4644.02; C46, 50, § 309.2; C54, 58, 62, 66, § 306.2; C71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 306.3]
92 Acts, ch 1153, § 1; 98 Acts, ch 1075, §1
Previous Section 306.2
Next Section 306.4
© 2003 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Tue Jan 28 13:52:42 CST 2003