The maximum sentence for any person convicted of a felony shall be that prescribed by statute or, if not prescribed by statute, if other than a class "A" felony shall be determined as follows:
1. A felon sentenced for a first conviction for a violation of section 124.401D, shall be confined for no more than ninety-nine years.
2. A class "B" felon shall be confined for no more than twenty-five years.
3. An habitual offender shall be confined for no more than fifteen years.
4. A class "C" felon, not an habitual offender, shall be confined for no more than ten years, and in addition shall be sentenced to a fine of at least one thousand dollars but not more than ten thousand dollars.
5. A class "D" felon, not an habitual offender, shall be confined for no more than five years, and in addition shall be sentenced to a fine of at least seven hundred fifty dollars but not more than seven thousand five hundred dollars. A class "D" felon, such felony being for a violation of section 321J.2, may be sentenced to imprisonment for up to one year in the county jail.
The criminal penalty surcharge required by sections 911.2 and 911.3 shall be added to a fine imposed on a class "C" or class "D" felon, as provided by that section, and is not a part of or subject to the maximums set in this section.
[C79, 81, § 902.9]
84 Acts, ch 1134, § 1; 84 Acts, ch 1219, § 38; 86 Acts, ch 1220, § 44; 92 Acts, ch 1163, § 121; 93 Acts, ch 110, §9; 99 Acts, ch 12, §17; 99 Acts, ch 65, §6, 7; 2001 Acts, ch 168, §4
Referred to in § 48A.11, 124.401, 124.401D, 142C.10, 232.8, 707.3, 708.2A, 716.10, 724.4A, 726.6A, 728.12, 811.1, 901.2, 901.5A, 901.10, 902.3, 902.3A, 906.5
Enhanced penalties in weapons free zones, see §724.4A
Habitual offender, § 902.8
Surcharge on penalty, chapter 911
Previous Section 902.8A
Next Section 902.10
© 2002 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Jan 24 10:51:05 CST 2002