1. A private or public agency, other than a state agency, local school district or nonpublic school, city library, library service area, county library, judicial branch, judicial district department of correctional services, agency of the federal government, a hospital or physician clinic, or a post office authorized to be offered access pursuant to this chapter as of May 18, 1994, shall certify to the commission no later than July 1, 1994, that the agency is a part of or intends to become a part of the network. Upon receiving such certification from an agency not a part of the network on May 18, 1994, the commission shall provide for the connection of such agency as soon as practical. An agency which does not certify to the commission that the agency is a part of or intends to become a part of the network as required by this subsection shall be prohibited from using the network.
2. a. A private or public agency which certifies to the commission pursuant to subsection 1 that the agency is a part of or intends to become a part of the network shall use the network for all video, data, and voice requirements of the agency unless the private or public agency petitions the commission for a waiver and one of the following applies:
b. A private or public agency shall petition the commission for a waiver of the requirement to use the network as provided in paragraph "a", if the agency determines that paragraph "a", subparagraph (1) or (2) applies. The commission shall establish by rule a review process for determining, upon application of an authorized user, whether paragraph "a", subparagraph (1) or (2) applies. An authorized user found by the commission to be under contract for such services as provided in paragraph "a", subparagraph (2), shall not enter into another contract upon the expiration of such contract, but shall utilize the network for such services as provided in this section unless paragraph "a", subparagraph (1), applies.
(1) The costs to the authorized user for services provided on the network are not competitive with the same services provided by another provider.
(2) The authorized user is under contract with another provider for such services, provided the contract was entered into prior to April 1, 1994. The agency shall use the network for video, data, and voice requirements which are not provided pursuant to such contract.
(3) The authorized user has entered into an agreement with the commission to become part of the network prior to June 1, 1994, which does not provide for use of the network for all video, data, and voice requirements of the agency. The commission may enter into an agreement described in this subparagraph upon a determination that the use of the network for all video, data, and voice requirements of the agency would not be in the best interests of the agency.
94 Acts, ch 1184, §11; 98 Acts, ch 1047, § 5; 2001 Acts, ch 158, §2
Previous Section 8D.8
Next Section 8D.10
© 2002 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Jan 24 10:51:05 CST 2002