1. Except as provided in subsection 2, the owner or operator of an underground storage tank existing on or before July 1, 1985, shall notify the department in writing by May 1, 1986, of the existence of each tank and specify the age, size, type, location and uses of the tank.
2. The owner of an underground storage tank taken out of operation between January 1, 1974 and July 1, 1985, shall notify the department in writing by July 1, 1986, of the existence of the tank unless the owner knows the tank has been removed from the ground. The notice shall specify to the extent known to the owner, the date the tank was taken out of operation, the age of the tank on the date taken out of operation, the size, type and location of the tank, and the type and quantity of substances left stored in the tank on the date that it was taken out of operation.
3. An owner or operator which brings into use an underground storage tank after July 1, 1985, shall notify the department in writing within thirty days of the existence of the tank and specify the age, size, type, location and uses of the tank.
4. An owner or operator of a storage tank described in section 455B.471, subsection 11, paragraph "a", which brings the tank into use after July 1, 1987, shall notify the department of the existence of the tank within thirty days. The registration of the tank shall be accompanied by a fee of ten dollars to be deposited in the storage tank management account. A tank which is existing before July 1, 1987, shall be reported to the department by July 1, 1989. Tanks under this section installed on or following July 1, 1987, shall comply with underground storage tank regulations adopted by rule by the department.
5. The notice of the owner or operator to the department under subsections 1 through 3 shall be accompanied by a fee of ten dollars for each tank included in the notice. All moneys collected shall be deposited in the storage tank management account of the groundwater protection fund created in section 455E.11. All moneys collected pursuant to this section prior to July 1, 1987, which have not been expended, shall be deposited in the storage tank management account.
6. Subsections 1 to 3 do not apply to an underground storage tank for which notice was given pursuant to section 103, subsection c, of the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liabilities Act of 1980.
7. A person who sells, installs, modifies, or repairs a tank used or intended to be used as an underground storage tank shall notify the purchaser and the owner or operator of the tank in writing of the owner's notification requirements pursuant to this section including the prohibition on depositing a regulated substance into tanks which have not been registered and issued tags by the department. A person who installs an underground storage tank and the owner or operator of the underground storage tank shall, prior to installing an underground storage tank, notify the department in writing regarding the intent to install a tank.
8. It shall be unlawful to deposit or accept a regulated substance in an underground storage tank which has not been registered and issued permanent and annual tank management fee renewal tags pursuant to subsections 1 through 6. It shall also be unlawful to deposit a regulated substance in an underground storage tank after receiving notice from the department that the underground storage tank is not covered by an approved form of financial responsibility in accordance with section 455B.474, subsection 2.
The department shall furnish the owner or operator of an underground storage tank with a registration tag for each underground storage tank registered with the department. The owner or operator shall affix the tag to the fill pipe of each registered underground storage tank. If an owner or operator fails to register or obtain annual renewal tags for the underground storage tank, the owner or operator shall pay an additional fee of two hundred fifty dollars upon registration of the tank. A fee imposed pursuant to this subsection shall not preclude the department from assessing an administrative penalty pursuant to section 455B.476.
9. The department may deny issuance of a registration or annual tank management fee renewal tag for failure of the owner or operator to provide proof the underground storage tank is covered by an approved form of financial responsibility as provided in section 455B.474, subsection 2.
85 Acts, ch 162, § 3; 87 Acts, ch 225, § 604, 605; 2001 Acts, ch 51, §1, 2
Referred to in § 455B.473A, 455B.474, 455B.477, 455E.11
Previous Section 455B.472
Next Section 455B.473A
© 2002 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Jan 24 10:51:05 CST 2002