1. A replacement generation tax of six hundredths of a cent per kilowatt-hour of electricity generated within this state during the tax year is imposed on every person generating electricity, except electricity generated by the following:
a. A low capacity factor electric power generating plant.
b. Facilities owned by or leased to a municipal utility when devoted to public use and not held for pecuniary profit, except facilities of a municipally owned electric utility held under joint ownership or lease and facilities of an electric power facility financed under chapter 28F or 476A.
c. Wind energy conversion property subject to section 427B.26.
d. Methane gas conversion property subject to section 427.1, subsection 29.
e. Facilities owned by or leased to a state university or university of science and technology, to the extent electricity generated by such facilities is consumed exclusively by such state university or university of science and technology.
f. On-site facilities wholly owned by or leased in their entirety to a self-generator.
2. In lieu of the replacement generation tax imposed in subsection 1, a replacement generation tax of one thousand eight hundred forty-seven ten-thousandths of a cent per kilowatt-hour of electricity generated within this state during the tax year is imposed on every hydroelectric generating power plant with a generating capacity of one hundred megawatts or greater.
3. In lieu of the replacement generation tax imposed in subsection 1, a replacement generation tax of one thousand ninety-nine ten-thousandths of a cent per kilowatt-hour of electricity generated within this state during the tax year is imposed on every electric company which owns a joint interest in an electric power generating plant in this state and which has a joint interest in less than five pole miles of transmission lines in this state.
4. For purposes of this section, if a generation facility is jointly owned or leased, the number of kilowatt-hours of electricity subject to the replacement generation tax shall be the number of kilowatt-hours of electricity generated and dispatched by the jointly held generation facility to the account of the taxpayer.
5. For purposes of this section, the number of kilowatt-hours generated by a generation facility shall exclude any kilowatt-hours used to operate that generation facility.
98 Acts, ch 1194, §7, 40; 2000 Acts, ch 1114, §5, 6, 17, 18; 2001 Acts, ch 145, §3, 13; 2001 Acts, 1st Ex, ch 4, §6, 36
Referred to in § 437A.3, 437A.4, 437A.8, 437A.16
Recomputation of electric replacement delivery tax rate; 2000 Acts, ch 1114, §16
2000 amendments to subsections 4 and 5 take effect April 19, 2000, and apply retroactively to tax years beginning on and after January 1, 1999; 2000 Acts, ch 1114, §17, 18
2001 amendments adding new subsections 2 and 3 apply to tax years commencing on or after January 1, 2001; 2001 Acts, ch 145, §13
Previous Section 437A.5
Next Section 437A.7
© 2002 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Jan 24 10:51:05 CST 2002