1. The governing body of a city may institute proceedings to issue revenue bonds for storm water drainage construction projects under section 384.84, subsection 5, by causing notice of the proposed project, with a description of the proposed project and a description of the formula for the determination of the rate or rates applied to users for payment of the bonds, and a description of the bonds and maximum rate of interest and the right to petition for an election if the project meets the requirement of subsection 2, to be published at least once in a newspaper of general circulation within the city at least thirty days before the meeting at which the governing body proposes to take action to institute proceedings for issuance of revenue bonds for the storm water drainage construction project.
2. If, before the date fixed for taking action to authorize the issuance of revenue bonds for the storm water drainage construction project, a petition signed by eligible electors residing within the city equal in number to at least three percent of the registered voters of the city, asking that the question of issuing revenue bonds for the storm water drainage construction project be submitted to the registered voters of the city, the council, by resolution, shall declare the project abandoned or shall direct the county commissioner of elections to call a special election upon the question of issuing the bonds for the storm water drainage construction project if the cost of the project and population of the city meet one of the following criteria:
a. The project cost is seven hundred fifty thousand dollars or more in a city having a population of five thousand or less.
b. The project cost is one million five hundred thousand dollars or more in a city having a population of more than five thousand but not more than seventy-five thousand.
c. The project cost is two million dollars or more in a city having a population of more than seventy-five thousand.
3. The proposition of issuing revenue bonds for a storm water drainage construction project under this section is not approved unless the vote in favor of the proposition is equal to a majority of the votes cast on the proposition.
4. If a petition is not filed, or if a petition is filed and the proposition is approved at an election, the council may issue the revenue bonds.
5. If a city is required by the federal environmental protection agency to file application for storm water sewer discharge or storm water drainage system under the federal Clean Water Act of 1987, this section does not apply to that city with respect to improvements and facilities required for compliance with EPA regulations, or any city that enters into a chapter 28E agreement to implement a joint storm water discharge or drainage system with a city that is required by the federal environmental protection agency to file application for storm water discharge or storm water drainage system.
90 Acts, ch 1206, §3; 95 Acts, ch 67, §53; 2001 Acts, ch 56, §33
Referred to in § 357A.11, 389.4, 390.5
Previous Section 384.84
Next Section 384.85
© 2002 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Jan 24 10:51:05 CST 2002