321.56  Repair of out-of-state commercial motor vehicles--permits.

1.  The operator of a commercial motor vehicle which is not registered within the state as required pursuant to this chapter or chapter 326 or which does not have an interstate fuel permit, as required under chapter 452A, may enter the state and travel to a commercial vehicle dealer or repair facility and exit the state under the following circumstances:

a.  If the commercial motor vehicle is entering the state solely for the purposes of maintenance and repair to the commercial motor vehicle and is exiting the state after having completed vehicle maintenance or repair.

b.  If the operator has obtained a temporary entry or exit permit from the department.

c.  If the commercial motor vehicle is unladen.

2.  The department shall provide a temporary entry and exit permit to a commercial motor vehicle operator which authorizes the operator to enter and exit the state as allowed under this section. Any operator of a commercial motor vehicle who has in the operator's possession the permit allowing entry into the state and exit from the state shall not be charged with a registration violation under this chapter or chapter 326 or with a motor vehicle fuel tax violation under chapter 452A, except for violations of section 452A.74A.

3.  For purposes of this section "commercial motor vehicle" means as defined in section 321.1, subsection 11, paragraph "e", subparagraph (2).

Section History: Recent form

  2001 Acts, ch 132, §3

Previous Section 321.55

Next Section 321.57

Return To Home index

© 2002 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa

Comments about this site or page? webmaster@legis.iowa.gov.
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.

Last update: Thu Jan 24 10:51:05 CST 2002