255.1  Complaint--determination of medical assistance eligibility.

Any adult resident of the state may file a complaint in the office of the clerk of any juvenile court, charging that any legal resident of Iowa residing in the county where the complaint is filed is pregnant or is suffering from some malady or deformity that can probably be improved or cured or advantageously treated by medical or surgical treatment or hospital care, and that neither such person nor persons legally chargeable with the person's support are able to pay therefor.

The county general assistance director shall ascertain from the local office of human services if an applicant for the indigent patient program would qualify for medical assistance or the medically needy program under chapter 249A without the spend-down provision required pursuant to section 249A.3, subsection 2, paragraph "i". If the applicant qualifies, the patient shall be certified for medical assistance and shall not be counted under this chapter.

Section History: Early form

  [SS15, § 254-b; C24, 27, 31, 35, § 4005; C39, § 3828.132; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 255.1]

Section History: Recent form

  91 Acts, ch 267, §226

Previous Section 252K.904

Next Section 255.2

Return To Home index

© 2002 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa

Comments about this site or page? webmaster@legis.iowa.gov.
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.

Last update: Thu Jan 24 10:51:05 CST 2002