The state board of health shall be the policy making body for the Iowa department of public health and shall have the following powers and duties to:
1. Consider and study the entire field of legislation and administration concerning public health, hygiene and sanitation.
2. Advise the department relative to:
a. The causes of disease and epidemics, and the effect of locality, employment, and living conditions upon the public health.
b. The sanitary conditions in the educational, charitable, correctional, and penal institutions in the state.
c. Communicable and infectious diseases including zoonotic diseases, quarantine and isolation, venereal diseases, antitoxins and vaccines, housing, and vital statistics.
3. Establish policies governing the performance of the department in the discharge of any duties imposed on it by law.
4. Establish policies for the guidance of the director in the discharge of the director's duties.
5. Investigate the conduct of the work of the department, and for this purpose it shall have access at any time to all books, papers, documents, and records of the department.
6. Advise or make recommendations to the governor and general assembly relative to public health, hygiene, and sanitation.
7. Adopt, promulgate, amend, and repeal rules and regulations consistent with law for the protection of the public health and prevention of substance abuse, and for the guidance of the department. All rules which have been or are hereafter adopted by the department shall be subject to approval by the board. However, rules adopted by the commission on substance abuse for section 125.7, subsections 1 and 7, and rules adopted by the department pursuant to section 135.130 are not subject to approval by the board of health.
8. Act by committee, or by a majority of the board.
9. Keep minutes of the transactions of each session, regular or special, which shall be public records and filed with the department.
[C97, § 2565; C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, § 2220; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 136.3]
86 Acts, ch 1245, § 1120; 2001 Acts, ch 184, §8
Previous Section 136.2
Next Section 136.4
© 2002 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Jan 24 10:51:05 CST 2002