As used in this subchapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Compensation" means moneys awarded by the department as authorized in this subchapter.
2. "Crime" means conduct that occurs or is attempted in this state, poses a substantial threat of personal injury or death, and is punishable as a felony or misdemeanor, or would be so punishable but for the fact that the person engaging in the conduct lacked the capacity to commit the crime under the laws of this state. "Crime" does not include conduct arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or use of a motor vehicle, motorcycle, motorized bicycle, train, boat, or aircraft except for violations of section 321.261, 321.277, 321J.2, 462A.14, or 707.6A, or when the intention is to cause personal injury or death. A license revocation under section 321J.9 or 321J.12 shall be considered by the department as evidence of a violation of section 321J.2 for the purposes of this subchapter.
3. "Department" means the department of justice.
4. "Dependent" means a person wholly or partially dependent upon a victim for care or support and includes a child of the victim born after the victim's death.
5. "Secondary victim" means the victim's spouse, children, parents, and siblings, and any person who resides in the victim's household at the time of the crime or at the time of the discovery of the crime. "Secondary victim" does not include persons who are the survivors of a victim who dies as a result of a crime.
6. "Victim" means a person who suffers personal injury or death as a result of any of the following:
a. A crime.
b. The good faith effort of a person attempting to prevent a crime.
c. The good faith effort of a person to apprehend a person suspected of committing a crime.
98 Acts, ch 1090, §41, 84
Referred to in § 622.69
Previous Section 915.51
Next Section 915.81
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001