The district board shall:
1. Adopt bylaws and rules for the conduct of its own business and for the government of the district department's community-based correctional program.
2. Employ a director having the qualifications required by section 905.6 to head the district department's community-based correctional program and, within a range established by the Iowa department of corrections, fix the compensation of and have control over the director and the district department's staff. For purposes of collective bargaining under chapter 20, employees of the district board who are not exempt from chapter 20 are employees of the state, and the employees of all of the district boards shall be included within one collective bargaining unit.
3. Designate one of the counties in the judicial district to serve as the district department's administrative agent to provide, in that capacity, all accounting, personnel, facilities management and supportive services needed by the district department, on terms mutually agreeable in regard to advancement of funds to the county for the added expense it incurs as a result of being so designated. However, the district board may designate the district department itself as the district department's administrative agent, if the district board determines that it would be more efficient and less costly than designating a county as the administrative agent.
4. File with the board of supervisors of each county in the district and with the Iowa department of corrections, within ninety days after the close of each fiscal year, a report covering the district board's proceedings and a statement of receipts and expenditures during the preceding fiscal year.
5. Arrange for, by contract or on such alternative basis as may be mutually acceptable, and equip suitable quarters at one or more sites in the district as may be necessary for the district department's community-based correctional program, provided that the board shall to the greatest extent feasible utilize existing facilities and shall keep capital expenditures for acquisition, renovation and repair of facilities to a minimum. The district board shall not enter into lease-purchase agreements for the purposes of constructing, renovating, expanding, or otherwise improving a community-based correctional facility or office unless express authorization has been granted by the general assembly, and current funding is adequate to meet the lease-purchase obligation.
6. Have authority to accept property by gift, devise, bequest or otherwise and to sell or exchange any property so accepted and apply the proceeds thereof, or the property received in exchange therefor, to the purposes enumerated in subsection 5.
7. Recruit, promote, accept and use local financial support for the district department's community-based correctional program from private sources such as community service funds, business, industrial and private foundations, voluntary agencies and other lawful sources.
8. Accept and expend state and federal funds available directly to the district department for all or any part of the cost of its community-based correctional program.
9. Arrange, by contract or on an alternative basis mutually acceptable, and with approval of the director of the Iowa department of corrections or that director's designee for utilization of existing local treatment and service resources, including but not limited to employment, job training, general, special, or remedial education; psychiatric and marriage counseling; and alcohol and drug abuse treatment and counseling. It is the intent of this chapter that a district board shall approve the development and maintenance of such resources by its own staff only if the resources are otherwise unavailable to the district department within reasonable proximity to the community where these services are needed in connection with the community-based correctional program.
10. Establish a project advisory committee to act in an advisory capacity on matters pertaining to the planning, operation, and other pertinent functions of each project in the judicial district.
[C79, 81, § 905.4; 81 Acts, ch 207, § 2]
83 Acts, ch 89, § 2; 83 Acts, ch 96, § 135, 159; 84 Acts, ch 1244, § 4; 91 Acts, ch 267, §420
Referred to in § 905.5, 905.6
Previous Section 905.3
Next Section 905.5
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001