The board of corrections shall:
1. Organize annually and select a chairperson and vice chairperson.
2. Adopt and establish policies for the operation and conduct of the department and the implementation of all department programs.
3. Recommend to the governor the names of individuals qualified for the position of director when a vacancy exists in the office.
4. Report immediately to the governor any failure by the director of the department to carry out any of the policy decisions or directives of the board.
5. Approve the budget of the department prior to submission to the governor.
6. Report biennially to the governor a summary of releases recommended, paroles granted, parole revocations, and other information relating to the parole of inmates as the board deems advisable.
7. Adopt rules in accordance with chapter 17A as the board deems necessary to transact its business and for the administration and exercise of its powers and duties.
8. Make recommendations from time to time to the governor and the general assembly.
9. Approve the locations for all state institutions which are penal, reformatory, or corrective.
10. Perform other functions as provided by law.
83 Acts, ch 96, § 6, 159
CS83, § 217A.5
85 Acts, ch 21, § 14, 54
CS85, § 246.105
86 Acts, ch 1245, § 1501
C93, § 904.105
Referred to in § 904.909
Previous Section 904.104
Next Section 904.106
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001