1. An innovations fund is created in the state treasury under the control of the department of management for the purpose of stimulating and encouraging innovation in state government by the awarding of repayable loans to state agencies.
2. The director of the department of management shall establish an eight-member committee to be called the state innovations fund committee. The committee shall review all requests for funds and approve loans of funds if the committee determines that an agency request would result in cost savings or added revenue to the general fund of the state. Eligible projects are projects which cannot be funded from an agency's operating budget without adversely affecting the agency's normal service levels. Projects may include, but are not limited to, purchase of advanced technology, contracting for expert services, and acquisition of equipment or supplies.
3. A state agency seeking a loan from the innovations fund shall complete an application form designed by the state innovations fund committee which employs a return on investment concept and demonstrates how state general fund expenditures will be reduced or how state general fund revenues will increase. Minimum loan requirements for state agency requests shall be determined by the committee. As an incentive to increase state general fund revenues, an agency may retain up to fifty percent of savings realized in connection with a loan from the innovations fund. The amount retained shall be determined by the innovations fund committee.
4. a. In order for the innovations fund to be self-supporting, the innovations fund committee shall establish repayment schedules for each innovation fund loan awarded. Agencies shall repay the funds over a period not to exceed five years with interest, at a rate to be determined by the innovations fund committee.
b. If the department of management and the department of revenue and finance certify that the savings from a proposed innovations fund project will result in a net increase in the balance of the general fund of the state without a corresponding cost savings to the requesting agency, and if the requesting agency meets all other eligibility requirements, the innovations fund committee may approve the loan for the project and not require repayment by the requesting agency. There is appropriated from the general fund of the state to the department of revenue and finance an amount sufficient to repay the loan amount.
5. Notwithstanding section 12C.7, subsection 2, interest or earnings on moneys deposited in the innovations fund shall be credited to the innovations fund. Notwithstanding section 8.33, moneys remaining in the innovations fund at the end of a fiscal year shall not revert to the general fund of the state.
95 Acts, ch 214, §18; 99 Acts, ch 208, § 16
Previous Section 8.62
Next Section 8D.1
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001