As used in this chapter:
1. "Animal" means a nonhuman vertebrate. However, "animal" does not include any of the following:
a. Livestock, as defined in section 717.1.
b. Any game, fur-bearing animal, fish, reptile, or amphibian, as defined in section 481A.1, unless a person owns, confines, or controls the game, fur-bearing animal, fish, reptile, or amphibian.
c. Any nongame species declared to be a nuisance pursuant to section 481A.42.
2. "Animal care provider" means a person designated by a local authority to provide care to an animal which is rescued by the local authority pursuant to section 717B.5.
3. Unless the context otherwise requires, "book", "list", "record", or "schedule" kept by a county auditor, assessor, treasurer, recorder, sheriff, or other county officer means the county system as defined in section 445.1.
4. "Law enforcement officer" means a regularly employed member of a police force of a city or county, including a sheriff, who is responsible for the prevention and dedication of crime and the enforcement of the criminal laws of this state.
5. "Local authority" means a city as defined in section 362.2 or a county as provided in chapter 331.
6. "Maintenance" means to provide on-site or off-site care to neglected animals.
94 Acts, ch 1103, §12; 2000 Acts, ch 1148, §1
Previous Section 717A.1
Next Section 717B.2
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001