1. In addition to the uses permitted under section 56.41, a candidate's committee may only transfer campaign funds in one or more of the following ways:
a. Contributions to charitable organizations.
b. Contributions to national, state, or local political party central committees, or to partisan political committees organized to represent persons within the boundaries of a congressional district.
c. Transfers to the treasurer of state for deposit in the general fund of the state, or to the appropriate treasurer for deposit in the general fund of a political subdivision of the state.
d. Return of contributions to contributors on a pro rata basis, except that any contributor who contributed five dollars or less may be excluded from the distribution.
e. Contributions to another candidate's committee when the candidate for whom both committees are formed is the same person.
2. If an unexpended balance of campaign funds remains when a candidate's committee dissolves, the unexpended balance shall be transferred pursuant to subsection 1.
3. A candidate or candidate's committee making a transfer of campaign funds pursuant to subsection 1 or 2 shall not place any requirements or conditions on the use of the campaign funds transferred.
4. A candidate or candidate's committee shall not transfer campaign funds except as provided in this section.
5. A candidate, candidate's committee, or any other person shall not directly or indirectly receive or transfer campaign funds with the intent of circumventing the requirements of this section. A candidate for statewide or legislative office shall not establish, direct, or maintain a political committee.
6. An individual or a political committee shall not knowingly make transfers or contributions to a candidate or candidate's committee for the purpose of transferring the funds to another candidate or candidate's committee to avoid the disclosure of the source of the funds pursuant to this chapter. A candidate or candidate's committee shall not knowingly accept transfers or contributions from an individual or political committee for the purpose of transferring funds to another candidate or candidate's committee as prohibited by this subsection. A candidate or candidate's committee shall not accept transfers or contributions which have been transferred to another candidate or candidate's committee as prohibited by this subsection. The board shall notify candidates of the prohibition of such transfers and contributions under this subsection.
91 Acts, ch 226, § 11; 92 Acts, ch 1228, § 29; 93 Acts, ch 163, § 34, 38; 95 Acts, ch 198, §16
Referred to in § 56.43
Previous Section 56.41
Next Section 56.43
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001