No industrial loan company licensed under the provisions of this chapter shall have the power and authority to:
1. Charge, receive or collect interest at a rate exceeding ten cents on the hundred by the year, except that the interest may be computed when the note is made on the full amount of the cash advanced on the loan from the date of the note to the date of the final installment thereof, and the interest so computed may be included in the note, notwithstanding any agreement to pay the entire amount in installments; or the interest may be computed on the amount of the note and discounted or collected in advance when the loan is made, notwithstanding any agreement to pay the entire amount in installments. If the note is repayable in other than equal monthly installments, the interest may be an amount computed on the basis of the effective rates permitted as provided above; provided, however, there shall be no compounding of interest and when an interest rate as authorized herein is advertised, or negotiated for with a prospective borrower, with intent that it be computed by either of the two methods authorized herein, they being the "add on" method or the "discount" method, in such case such rate shall be further described as to the method of computation to be used, but interest computed by either method shall be stated to the borrower as provided in section 537.3210.
If a borrower elects to repay a loan secured by a mortgage or deed of trust upon real property which is a single-family or two-family dwelling or agricultural land at a date earlier than is required by the terms of the loan, the licensee shall be governed by section 535.9.
The limitation on interest rate which is contained in this subsection shall not apply to any loan in which the borrower is a corporation or investment trust or any other person who is referred to in section 535.2, subsection 2.
2. Charge, receive, or collect in advance, a service charge in excess of one dollar for each fifty dollars of the amount of the note, not to exceed a total of one hundred twenty dollars.
3. Require any borrower to purchase insurance from the lender as a condition for obtaining a loan. However, an industrial loan company may collect from the borrower, at the option of the borrower, and transmit the premiums charged for insuring real or personal property used by the borrower as security for a loan and provided that such insurance is obtained from a licensed insurance agent for an insurance company authorized to do business in Iowa; and the premiums charged for insuring the life of one party on the loan in an amount not to exceed the total amount of the note or contract, including cash advance, interest and service charge, provided that no licensee shall require that the contract of life insurance be outstanding for more than the unpaid balance of the indebtedness and provided that such insurance is obtained from a licensed insurance agent for an insurance company authorized to do business in Iowa; and an industrial loan company may receive and transmit the premiums charged for accident and health insurance on the borrower, provided such insurance bears a reasonable relationship to the existing hazards or risk of loss, and the aggregate benefits of which shall not exceed the approximate amount of the contractual payments on the loan outstanding at the time of loss, and provided that such insurance is obtained from a licensed agent for an insurance company authorized to do business in Iowa. However, all life insurance rates in connection with industrial loans shall be subject to the rules and regulations of the insurance commissioner of the state of Iowa.
4. Industrial loan companies licensed under the provisions of this chapter may purchase notes, contracts, mortgages, accounts, receivables, leases and securities of a type and kind authorized by the superintendent.
5. In addition to the other charges authorized by this chapter, industrial loan companies licensed under this chapter may collect an appraisal fee on a loan secured by a mortgage or deed of trust upon real property, if the appraisal fee is bona fide, reasonable in amount, and not for purposes of circumvention or evasion of this chapter.
[C66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, S79, C81, § 536A.23; 82 Acts, ch 1153, § 8, 18(1)]
84 Acts, ch 1205, § 2; 89 Acts, ch 295, §1
Referred to in § 536A.31
Previous Section 536A.22
Next Section 536A.24
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001