The following words, terms, and phrases, when used in this chapter, shall, for the purpose of this chapter, have the meanings respectively ascribed to them.
1. "Attorney general" shall mean the attorney general of the state or the attorney general's duly authorized assistants and employees.
2. "Carton" means a box or container of any kind in which ten or more packages or packs of cigarettes or tobacco products are offered for sale, sold, or otherwise distributed to consumers.
3. "Cigarette" means any roll for smoking made wholly or in part of tobacco, or any substitute for tobacco, irrespective of size or shape and irrespective of tobacco or any substitute for tobacco being flavored, adulterated, or mixed with any other ingredient, where such roll has a wrapper or cover made of paper or any other material. Provided the definition herein shall not be construed to include cigars.
4. "Cigarette vending machine" means any self-service device offered for public use which, upon insertion of a coin, coins, paper currency, or by other means, dispenses cigarettes or tobacco products without the necessity of replenishing the device between each vending operation.
5. "Cigarette vendor" means any person who by contract, agreement, or ownership takes responsibility for furnishing, installing, servicing, operating, or maintaining one or more cigarette vending machines for the purpose of selling cigarettes at retail.
6. "Counterfeit stamp" shall mean any stamp, label, print, indicium, or character which evidences, or purports to evidence the payment of any tax levied by this chapter, and which stamp, label, print, indicium, or character has not been printed, manufactured or made by authority of the director as hereinafter provided, and issued, sold or circulated by the department.
7. "Department" means the department of revenue and finance.
8. "Director" means the director of revenue and finance or the director's duly authorized assistants and employees.
9. "Distributing agent" shall mean and include every person in this state who acts as an agent of any manufacturer outside of the state by storing cigarettes received in interstate commerce from such manufacturer subject to distribution or delivery to distributors upon orders received by said manufacturer in interstate commerce and transmitted to such distributing agent for fulfillment from such place of storage.
10. "Distributing agent's permit" shall mean and include permits issued by the department to distributing agents.
11. "Distributor" shall mean and include every person in this state who manufactures or produces cigarettes or who ships, transports, or imports into this state or in any manner acquires or possesses cigarettes without stamps affixed for the purpose of making a "first sale" of the same within the state.
12. "Drop shipment" shall mean and include any delivery of cigarettes received by any person within this state when payment for such cigarettes is made to the shipper or seller by or through a person other than the consignee.
13. "First sale" shall mean and include the first sale or distribution of cigarettes in intrastate commerce, or the first use or consumption of cigarettes within this state.
14. "Individual packages of cigarettes" shall mean and include every package of cigarettes ordinarily sold at retail.
15. "Manufacturer" shall mean and include every person who ships cigarettes into this state from outside the state.
16. "Manufacturer's permit" shall mean and include permits issued by the department to a manufacturer.
17. "Package" or "pack" means a container of any kind in which cigarettes or tobacco products are offered for sale, sold, or otherwise distributed to consumers.
18. "Person" shall mean and include every individual, firm, association, joint stock company, syndicate, copartnership, corporation, trustee, agency or receiver, or respective legal representative.
19. "Place of business" is construed to mean and include any place where cigarettes are sold or where cigarettes are stored within or without the state of Iowa by the holder of an Iowa permit or kept for the purpose of sale or consumption; or if sold from any vehicle or train, the vehicle or train on which or from which such cigarettes are sold shall constitute a place of business.
20. "Previously used stamp" shall mean and include any stamp which is used, sold, or possessed for the purpose of sale or use, to evidence the payment of the tax herein imposed on an individual package of cigarettes after said stamp has, anterior to such use, sale, or possession, been used on a previous or separate individual package of cigarettes to evidence the payment of tax as aforesaid.
21. "Retailer" shall mean and include every person in this state who shall sell, distribute, or offer for sale for consumption or possess for the purpose of sale for consumption, cigarettes irrespective of quantity or amount or the number of sales.
22. "Retail permit" shall mean and include permits issued to retailers.
23. "Self-service display" means any manner of product display, placement, or storage from which a person purchasing the product may take possession of the product, prior to purchase, without assistance from the retailer or employee of the retailer, in removing the product from a restricted access location.
24. "Stamps" means the stamp or stamps printed, manufactured or made by authority of the director and issued, sold or circulated by the department and by the use of which the tax levied is paid. It also means any impression, indicium, or character fixed upon packages of cigarettes by metered stamping machine or device which may be authorized by the director to the holder of state or manufacturers' permits and by the use of which the tax levied is paid.
25. "State permit" shall mean and include permits issued by the department to distributors, wholesalers, and retailers.
26. "Tobacco products" means cigars; little cigars as defined in section 453A.42, subsection 5; cheroots; stogies; periques; granulated; plug cut, crimp cut, ready rubbed, and other smoking tobacco; snuff, snuff flour; cavendish; plug and twist tobacco; fine-cut and other chewing tobaccos; shorts; or refuse scraps, clippings, cuttings and sweepings of tobacco, and other kinds and forms of tobacco, prepared in such manner as to be suitable for chewing or smoking in a pipe or otherwise, or both for chewing and smoking; but does not mean cigarettes.
27. "Wholesaler" shall mean and include every person other than a distributor or distributing agent who engages in the business of selling or distributing cigarettes within the state, for the purpose of resale.
[C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, § 1552; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 98.1]
86 Acts, ch 1245, § 401; 91 Acts, ch 240, §1, 2
C93, § 453A.1
98 Acts, ch 1129, § 2
Referred to in § 142A.2, 142A.6, 453A.42
Previous Section 452A.86
Next Section 453A.2
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001