452A.72  Refund for fuel taxes erroneously or illegally collected or paid.

If any fuel taxes, penalties, or interest have been erroneously or illegally collected by the appropriate state agency from a licensee, the appropriate state agency may apply the overpayment against any tax liability outstanding on the books of the department against the claimant, or shall certify the amount to the director of revenue and finance, who shall draw a warrant for the certified amount on the treasurer of state payable to the licensee. The refund shall be paid to the licensee immediately.

A refund shall not be made under this section unless a written claim setting forth the circumstances for which the refund should be allowed is filed with the appropriate state agency within one year from the date of the payment of the taxes erroneously or illegally collected or paid.

However, if it is found during an examination by the appropriate state agency that a licensee paid, as a result of a mistake, an amount of tax, penalty, or interest which was not due, and the mistake is found within three years of the overpayment, the appropriate state agency shall credit the amount against any penalty, interest or taxes due or shall refund the amount to the person.

Section History: Early form

  [C27, 31, § 5093-a5, -b1; C35, § 5093-f9; C39, § 5093.09; C46, 50, 54, § 324.13, 324.15; C58, 62, 66, § 324.71; C71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 324.72]

Section History: Recent form

  C93, § 452A.72

  96 Acts, ch 1066, § 16, 21

Previous Section 452A.71

Next Section 452A.73

Return To Home index

© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa

Comments about this site or page? webmaster@legis.iowa.gov.
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.

Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001
URL: /DOCS/IACODE/2001/452A/72.html