The following definitions shall apply to this chapter:
1. Unless the context otherwise requires, "book", "list", "record", or "schedule" kept by a county auditor, assessor, treasurer, recorder, sheriff, or other county officer means the county system as defined in section 445.1.
2. "Home" means a mobile home or a manufactured home.
3. "Manufactured home" is a factory-built structure built under authority of 42 U.S.C. § 5403, is required by federal law to display a seal from the United States department of housing and urban development, and was constructed on or after June 15, 1976. If a manufactured home is placed in a mobile home park, the home must be titled and is subject to the mobile home square foot tax. If a manufactured home is placed outside a mobile home park, the home must be titled and is to be assessed and taxed as real estate.
4. "Mobile home" means any vehicle without motive power used or so manufactured or constructed as to permit its being used as a conveyance upon the public streets and highways and so designed, constructed, or reconstructed as will permit the vehicle to be used as a place for human habitation by one or more persons; but shall also include any such vehicle with motive power not registered as a motor vehicle in Iowa. A "mobile home" is not built to a mandatory building code, contains no state or federal seals, and was built before June 15, 1976. If a mobile home is placed outside a mobile home park, the home is to be assessed and taxed as real estate.
5. "Mobile home park" means a site, lot, field, or tract of land upon which three or more mobile homes or manufactured homes, or a combination of any of these homes are placed on developed spaces and operated as a for- profit enterprise with water, sewer or septic, and electrical services available.
The term "mobile home park" shall not be construed to include mobile homes, buildings, tents or other structures temporarily maintained by any individual, educational institution, or company on their own premises and used exclusively to house their own labor or students.
A mobile home park must be classified as to whether it is a residential mobile home park or a recreational mobile home park or both. The mobile home park residential landlord tenant Act* only applies to residential mobile home parks.
6. "Modular home" means a factory-built structure which is manufactured to be used as a place of human habitation, is constructed to comply with the Iowa state building code for modular factory-built structures, and must display the seal issued by the state building code commissioner. If a modular home is placed in a mobile home park, the home is subject to the annual tax as required by section 435.22. If a modular home is placed outside a mobile home park, the home shall be considered real property and is to be assessed and taxed as real estate.
[C54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 135D.1]
86 Acts, ch 1245, § 1114
C93, § 435.1
94 Acts, ch 1110, §3-6, 24; 95 Acts, ch 57, §10, 26; 97 Acts, ch 121, §15, 16; 98 Acts, ch 1107, § 17, 18, 33; 2000 Acts, ch 1148, §1
Referred to in § 103A.3, 358C.13, 384.84, 403.22, 422.45, 426A.11, 427.1, 435.24, 555B.1, 555C.1, 557B.1, 562B.7
1998 amendments apply retroactively to the assessment year beginning January 1, 1998, and to all subsequent assessment years; 98 Acts, ch 1107, § 33
Previous Section 434.23
Next Section 435.2
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001