1. Each person subject to sections 422.52 and 422.53 and in accordance with the provisions thereof shall, on or before the last day of the month following the close of each calendar quarter during which such person is or has become or ceased being subject to the provisions of such sections, make, sign, and file a return for such calendar quarter in such form as may be required. Such returns shall show information relating to gross receipts including goods, wares, and services converted to the use of such person, the amounts of gross receipts excluded and exempt from the tax, the receipts subject to tax, a calculation of tax due, and such other information for the period covered by the return as may be required. Persons required to file, or committed to file by reason of voluntary action or by order of the department, monthly deposits of taxes due under this division shall be entitled to take credit against the total quarterly amount of tax due such amount as shall have been deposited by such persons during such calendar quarter. The balance remaining due after such credit for monthly deposits shall be entered on the return; provided, however, that such person may be granted an extension of time not exceeding thirty days for filing such quarterly return, upon a proper showing of necessity therefor. If such extension be granted such person shall have paid by the twentieth day of the month following the close of such quarter ninety percent of the estimated tax due.
2. If necessary or advisable in order to insure the payment of the tax imposed by this division, the director may require returns and payment of the tax to be made for other than quarterly periods, the provisions of section 422.52 or elsewhere to the contrary notwithstanding.
3. Returns shall be signed by the retailer or the retailer's authorized agent and must be certified by the retailer to be correct in accordance with forms and rules prescribed by the director.
4. If it is reasonably expected, as determined by rules prescribed by the director, that a retailer's annual tax liability will not exceed one hundred twenty dollars for a calendar year, the retailer may request and the director may grant permission, in lieu of the quarterly filing requirement of subsection 1 of this section and the remitting requirements of section 422.52, to file the return required under this section and remit the sales tax due on a calendar year basis. The return and tax are due and payable no later than January 31 following each calendar year in which the retailer carried on business.
5. Upon making application and receiving approval from the director, a parent corporation and its affiliated corporations that make retail sales of tangible personal property or taxable enumerated services may make deposits and file a consolidated sales tax return for the affiliated group, pursuant to rules adopted by the director. A parent corporation and each affiliate corporation that files a consolidated return is jointly and severally liable for all tax, penalty, and interest found due for the tax period for which a consolidated return is filed or required to be filed.
[C35, § 6943-f46; C39, § 6943.082; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 422.51; 82 Acts, ch 1022, § 3, 9, ch 1205, § 1]
89 Acts, ch 251, §24; 99 Acts, ch 156, §2, 23
Referred to in § 422.47, 422.52, 422A.1, 422B.9, 422C.4, 455B.455
Subsection 5 is effective January 1, 2000, for state sales and use taxes; 99 Acts, ch 156, § 2, 23
Previous Section 422.50
Next Section 422.52
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001