1. The board, upon petition of the number of eligible electors of the county as specified in section 331.306, shall call a special election to be held for the purpose of selecting one of the supervisor representation plans specified in section 331.206 under which the board of supervisors shall be elected.
2. The petition shall be filed with the auditor by January 1 of a general election year, subject to subsection 5. The special election shall be held at least one hundred days before the primary election. Notice of the special election shall be published once each week for three successive weeks in an official newspaper of the county, shall state the representation plans to be submitted to the electors, and shall state the date of the special election which shall be held not less than five nor more than twenty days from the date of last publication.
3. The supervisor representation plans submitted at the special election shall be stated in substantially the following manner:
The individual members of the board of supervisors in . . . . . . county, Iowa, shall be elected:
Plan "one." At large and without district residence requirements for the members.
Plan "two." At large but with equal-population district residence requirements for the members.
Plan "three." From single-member equal-population districts in which the electors of each district shall elect one member who must reside in that district.
4. If the plan adopted by a plurality of the ballots cast in the special election is not the supervisor representation plan currently in effect in the county, the terms of the county supervisors serving at the time of the special election shall continue until the first day in January which is not a Sunday or holiday following the next general election, at which time the terms of the members shall expire and the terms of the members elected under the requirements of the new supervisor representation plan at the general election as specified in section 331.208, 331.209 or 331.210 shall commence.
5. A supervisor representation plan adopted at a special election shall remain in effect for at least six years.
[C97, § 417; C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, § 5112; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 331.9; S81, § 331.207; 81 Acts, ch 117, § 206; 82 Acts, ch 1104, § 31]
88 Acts, ch 1119, § 37
Referred to in § 331.206, 331.208, 331.209, 331.210, 331.261
Previous Section 331.206
Next Section 331.208
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001