The following words, terms, and phrases when used in this chapter shall have the respective meanings herein set forth:
1. "Active state service" means service on behalf of the state when public disaster, riot, tumult, breach of the peace or resistance of process occurs or threatens to occur, when called upon in aid of civil authorities or when under martial law or at encampments ordered by state authority. Active state service also includes serving as the adjutant general, a deputy adjutant general, or the state quartermaster, but does not include training or duty required or authorized under 32 U.S.C. § 502-505, or any other training or duty required or authorized by federal laws and regulations.
2. "Facility" means the land, and the buildings and other improvements on the land which are the responsibility and property of the Iowa national guard.
3. "Federal service" means duty authorized and performed under the provisions of 10 U.S.C. or 32 U.S.C., § 502-505 which includes unit training assemblies commonly known as "drills", annual training, rifle marksmanship, full-time training for school purposes and recruiting.
4. "In service of the United States" and "Not in service of the United States" used herein, shall have the same meaning as such terms have in the National Defense Act of Congress (39 Stat. L. ch 134), approved June 3, 1916, and amendments thereto.
5. "Law and regulations" means and includes state and federal law and regulations.
6. "Militia" shall mean the forces provided for in the Constitution of Iowa.
7. "National guard" means the Iowa units, detachments and organizations of the army national guard of the United States and the air national guard of the United States as those forces are defined in the National Defense Act and its amendments, the Iowa army national guard and the Iowa air national guard.
8. "Officer" shall mean and include commissioned officers and warrant officers.
9. "On duty" means unit training assemblies, all other training, and service which may be required under state or federal law, regulations, or orders, and the necessary travel of an officer or enlisted person to the place of performance and return home after performance of that duty, but does not include federal service under 10 U.S.C.
10. "Organization" means a command composed of two or more subordinate units and includes the state headquarters for both the army and the air national guard, one or more divisions, wings, brigades, groups, battalions, squadrons or flights as defined by an appropriate table of organization, a table of distribution or unit personnel document.
11. "Unit" means a military element of an organization whose structure is prescribed by competent authority such as a table of organization, table of distribution, or unit personnel document. For the purposes of this chapter, a unit shall include one or more companies, flights, troops, batteries or detachments and the state officer candidate school.
12. Except when otherwise expressly defined herein military words, terms and phrases shall have the meaning commonly ascribed to them in the military profession.
[C97, § 2168; S13, § 2215-f2; C24, 27, 31, § 433; C35, § 467-f2; C39, § 467.02; C46, 50, § 29.2; C54, 58, 62, § 29.1; C66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 29A.1; 81 Acts, ch 14, § 18]
2000 Acts, ch 1020, §1, 6
Referred to in § 669.14
Previous Section 29.4
Next Section 29A.2
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001