The establishment and operation of bus routes and the contracting for transportation shall be based upon the following considerations:
1. Each bus route shall be planned and adjusted to utilize the normal seating capacity of each bus insofar as it is possible to do so.
2. Each bus route shall serve only those pupils living in those areas where transportation by bus is the most economical method for providing adequate transportation facilities.
3. A route shall not be extended for the purpose of accommodating pupils whose homes are nearer another bus route.
4. Special contracts for transportation of pupils entitled to transportation shall be entered into only when it is more economical to make such special provision than to provide same by regular bus route, or when by reason of physical or mental disability of the pupil such pupil cannot be transported with safety by bus.
5. The boards shall take advantage of all tax exemptions on fuel, equipment, and of such other economies as are available.
6. The use of school buses shall be restricted to transporting pupils to and from school and to and from extracurricular activities sponsored by the school when such extracurricular activity is under the direction of a qualified member of the faculty and a part of the regular school program and to transporting other persons to the extent permitted by section 285.1, subsection 1, and section 285.10, subsections 9 and 10. School employees of districts operating buses may be transported to and from school and approved activities which they are required to attend as a result of their responsibilities. Provided, however, nothing in this subsection shall prohibit the use of school buses in transporting a school teacher going to and from the teacher's school when such school is on an established school bus route and such teacher makes arrangements with the district operating such school bus.
7. No bus shall leave the public highway to receive or discharge pupils unless their safety is enhanced thereby, or the private road is maintained in the same manner as a public roadway.
8. Bus routes shall be established only to give service to properly designated pupils.
9. Bus drivers for school buses must present a certificate of physical fitness each year before being permitted to operate any vehicles transporting children to and from school.
[C39, § 4179.1; C46, § 276.27, 285.11; C50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 285.11]
90 Acts, ch 1230, §4; 96 Acts, ch 1129, § 113
Previous Section 285.10
Next Section 285.12
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001