The director shall:
1. Designate a community college as an "area vocational education school" within the meaning of, and for the purpose of administering, the Act of Congress designated the "Vocational Education Act of 1963". A community college shall not be so designated by the director of the department of education for the expenditure of funds under 20 U.S.C. §35c(a)(5), which has not been designated and classified as a community college by the state board.
2. Change boundaries of director districts in a merged area when the board fails to change boundaries as required by law.
3. Make changes in boundaries of merged areas with the approval of the board of directors of each merged area affected by the change. When the boundaries of a merged area are changed, the director of the department of education may authorize the board of directors of the merged area to levy additional taxes upon the property within the merged area, or any part of the merged area, and distribute the taxes so that all parts of the merged area are paying their share toward the support of the college.
4. Administer, allocate, and disburse federal or state funds made available to pay a portion of the cost of acquiring sites for and constructing, acquiring, or remodeling facilities for community colleges, and establish priorities for the use of such funds.
5. Administer, allocate, and disburse federal or state funds available to pay a portion of the operating costs of community colleges.
6. Approve or disapprove, in a manner as the director of the department of education may prescribe, sites and buildings to be acquired, erected, or remodeled for use by community colleges.
7. Propose administrative rules to carry out this chapter subject to approval of the state board.
8. Enter into contracts with local school boards within the area that have and maintain a technical or vocational high school and with private schools or colleges in the cooperative or merged areas to provide courses or programs of study in addition to or as a part of the curriculum made available in the community college.
9. Make arrangements with boards of merged areas and local school districts to permit students attending high school to participate in vocational-technical programs and advanced college placement courses and obtain credit for such participation for application toward the completion of a high school diploma. The granting of credit is subject to the approval of the director of the department of education.
10. Prescribe a uniform system of accounting for community colleges.
11. Ensure that community colleges that provide intercollegiate athletics as a part of their program comply with section 216.9.
[C66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 280A.25; 82 Acts, ch 1136, § 11]
85 Acts, ch 212, § 12; 86 Acts, ch 1245, § 1470; 87 Acts, ch 115, §41; 87 Acts, ch 224, §57, 58; 90 Acts, ch 1253, § 36
C93, § 260C.25
93 Acts, ch 82, § 4
Referred to in § 260C.43
Previous Section 260C.4
Next Section 260C.6
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001