As used in this chapter, unless the context shall require otherwise, the following terms shall have the meanings ascribed to them by this section:
1. "Birth center" means birth center as defined in section 135G.2.
2. "Birthing hospital" means a private or public hospital licensed pursuant to chapter 135B that has a licensed obstetric unit or is licensed to provide obstetric services, or a licensed birthing center associated with a hospital.
3. "Child" includes but shall not be limited to a stepchild, foster child or legally adopted child and means a child actually or apparently under eighteen years of age, and a dependent person eighteen years of age or over who is unable to maintain the person's self and is likely to become a public charge.
4. "Court" shall mean and include any court upon which jurisdiction has been conferred to determine the liability of persons for the support of dependents.
5. "Dependent" shall mean and include a spouse, child, mother, father, grandparent or grandchild who is in need of and entitled to support from a person who is declared to be legally liable for such support.
6. "Institution" means a birthing hospital or birth center.
7. "Petitioner" includes each dependent person for whom support is sought in a proceeding instituted pursuant to this chapter or a mother or putative father of a dependent. However, in an action brought by the child support recovery unit, the state is the petitioner.
8. "Party" means a petitioner, a respondent, or a person who intervenes in a proceeding instituted under this chapter.
9. "Petitioner's representative" includes counsel of a dependent person for whom support is sought and counsel for a mother or putative father of a dependent. In an action brought by the child support recovery unit, "petitioner's representative" includes a county attorney, state's attorney and any other public officer, by whatever title the officer's public office may be known, charged by law with the duty of instituting, maintaining, or prosecuting a proceeding under this chapter or under the laws of the state.
10. "Putative father" means a man who is alleged to be or who claims to be the biological father of a child born to a woman to whom the man is not married at the time of the birth of the child.
11. "Register" means to file a foreign support order in the registry of foreign support orders maintained as a filing in equity by the clerk of court.
12. "Respondent" includes each person against whom a proceeding is instituted pursuant to this chapter. "Respondent" may include the mother or the putative father of a dependent.
13. "State registrar" means state registrar as defined in section 144.1.
[C50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 252A.2; 82 Acts, ch 1004, § 6, 7]
93 Acts, ch 79, §11; 94 Acts, ch 1171, §10, 11; 97 Acts, ch 175, § 9
Referred to in § 252H.2
Previous Section 252A.1
Next Section 252A.3
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001