For purposes of this chapter, unless a different meaning is clearly indicated by the context:
1. "Department" means the department of justice.
2. "Domestic abuse" means committing assault as defined in section 708.1 under any of the following circumstances:
a. The assault is between family or household members who resided together at the time of the assault.
b. The assault is between separated spouses or persons divorced from each other and not residing together at the time of the assault.
c. The assault is between persons who are parents of the same minor child, regardless of whether they have been married or have lived together at any time.
d. The assault is between persons who have been family or household members residing together within the past year and are not residing together at the time of the assault.
3. "Emergency shelter services" include, but are not limited to, secure crisis shelters or housing for victims of domestic abuse.
4. a. "Family or household members" means spouses, persons cohabiting, parents, or other persons related by consanguinity or affinity.
b. "Family or household members" does not include children under age eighteen of persons listed in paragraph "a".
5. "Pro se" means a person proceeding on the person's own behalf without legal representation.
6. "Support services" include, but are not limited to, legal services, counseling services, transportation services, child care services, and advocacy services.
[C81, § 236.2]
85 Acts, ch 175, §2; 87 Acts, ch 154, § 1; 89 Acts, ch 279, § 2, 3; 91 Acts, ch 218, §4; 93 Acts, ch 157, §1; 95 Acts, ch 180, § 7
Referred to in § 135B.7, 236.5, 236.13, 507B.4, 598.41, 611.23, 708.2A, 804.7
For definition of "plaintiff", see § 236.3, subsection 2
Previous Section 236.1
Next Section 236.3
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001