1. The superintendent of each mental health institute shall compute by February 1 the average daily patient charges and other service charges for which each county will be billed for services provided to patients chargeable to the county during the fiscal year beginning the following July 1. The department shall certify the amount of the charges to the director of revenue and finance and notify the counties of the billing charges.
a. The superintendent shall separately compute by program the average daily patient charge for a mental health institute for services provided in the following fiscal year, in accordance with generally accepted accounting procedures, by totaling the expenditures of the program for the immediately preceding calendar year, by adjusting the expenditures by a percentage not to exceed the percentage increase in the consumer price index for all urban consumers for the immediately preceding calendar year, and by dividing the adjusted expenditures by the total inpatient days of service provided in the program during the immediately preceding calendar year. However, the superintendent shall not include the following in the computation of the average daily patient charge:
(1) The costs of food, lodging, and other maintenance provided to persons not patients of the hospital.
(2) The costs of certain direct medical services identified in administrative rule, which may include but need not be limited to X-ray, laboratory, and dental services.
(3) The costs of outpatient and state placement services.
(4) The costs of the psychiatric residency program.
(5) The costs of the chaplain intern program.
b. The department shall compute the direct medical services, outpatient, and state placement services charges, in accordance with generally accepted accounting procedures, on the basis of the actual cost of the services provided during the immediately preceding calendar year. The direct medical services, outpatient, and state placement services shall be billed directly against the patient who received the services.
2. a. The superintendent shall certify to the director of revenue and finance the billings to each county for services provided to patients chargeable to the county during the preceding calendar quarter. The county billings shall be based on the average daily patient charge and other service charges computed pursuant to subsection 1, and the number of inpatient days and other service units chargeable to the county. However, a county billing shall be decreased by an amount equal to reimbursement by a third party payor or estimation of such reimbursement from a claim submitted by the superintendent to the third party payor for the preceding calendar quarter. When the actual third party payor reimbursement is greater or less than estimated, the difference shall be reflected in the county billing in the calendar quarter the actual third party payor reimbursement is determined.
b. The per diem costs billed to each county shall not exceed the per diem costs billed to the county in the fiscal year beginning July 1, 1996. However, the per diem costs billed to a county may be adjusted annually to reflect increased costs to the extent of the percentage increase in the total of county fixed budgets pursuant to the allowed growth factor adjustment authorized by the general assembly for the fiscal year in accordance with section 331.439.
3. The superintendent shall compute in January the actual per-patient-per-day cost for each mental health institute for the immediately preceding calendar year, in accordance with generally accepted accounting procedures, by totaling the actual expenditures of the mental health institute for the calendar year and by dividing the total actual expenditures by the total inpatient days of service provided during the calendar year.
4. The department shall certify to the director of revenue and finance and the counties by February 1 the actual per-patient-per-day costs, as computed pursuant to subsection 3, and the actual costs owed by each county for the immediately preceding calendar year for patients chargeable to the county. If the actual costs owed by the county are greater than the charges billed to the county pursuant to subsection 2, the director of revenue and finance shall bill the county for the difference with the billing for the quarter ending June 30. If the actual costs owed by the county are less than the charges billed to the county pursuant to subsection 2, the director of revenue and finance shall credit the county for the difference starting with the billing for the quarter ending June 30.
5. An individual statement shall be prepared for a patient on or before the fifteenth day of the month following the month in which the patient leaves the mental health institute, and a general statement shall be prepared at least quarterly for each county to which charges are made under this section. Except as otherwise required by sections 125.33 and 125.34 the general statement shall list the name of each patient chargeable to that county who was served by the mental health institute during the preceding month or calendar quarter, the amount due on account of each patient, and the specific dates for which any third party payor reimbursement received by the state is applied to the statement and billing, and the county shall be billed for eighty percent of the stated charge for each patient specified in this subsection. The statement prepared for each county shall be certified by the department to the director of revenue and finance and a duplicate statement shall be mailed to the auditor of that county.
6. All or any reasonable portion of the charges incurred for services provided to a patient, to the most recent date for which the charges have been computed, may be paid at any time by the patient or by any other person on the patient's behalf. Any payment so made, and any federal financial assistance received pursuant to Title XVIII or XIX of the federal Social Security Act for services rendered to a patient, shall be credited against the patient's account and, if the charges so paid have previously been billed to a county, reflected in the mental health institute's next general statement to that county.
7. A superintendent of a mental health institute may request that the director of human services enter into a contract with a person for the mental health institute to provide consultation or treatment services or for fulfilling other purposes which are consistent with the purposes stated in section 226.1. The contract provisions shall include charges which reflect the actual cost of providing the services or fulfilling the other purposes. Any income from a contract authorized under this subsection may be retained by the mental health institute to defray the costs of providing the services. Except for a contract voluntarily entered into by a county under this subsection, the costs or income associated with a contract authorized under this subsection shall not be considered in computing charges and per diem costs in accordance with the provisions of subsections 1 through 6 of this section.
8. The department shall provide a county with information, which is not otherwise confidential under law, in the department's possession concerning a patient whose cost of care is chargeable to the county, including but not limited to the information specified in section 229.24, subsection 3.
[R60, § 1487; C73, § 1428; C97, § 2292; S13, § 2292; C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, § 3600; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, S81, § 230.20; 81 Acts, ch 78, § 20, 38, 39]
83 Acts, ch 96, § 157, 159; 86 Acts, ch 1169, § 2; 87 Acts, ch 37, § 1; 88 Acts, ch 1249, § 9; 88 Acts, ch 1276, § 39; 95 Acts, ch 82, §5; 95 Acts, ch 120, §4; 96 Acts, ch 1183, § 25, 26; 98 Acts, ch 1155, §11
Referred to in § 218.78, 228.6, 230.21, 230.22, 904.201
Previous Section 230.19
Next Section 230.21
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001