The following definitions shall apply to the various terms used in this chapter:
1. "A.S.T.M." means the American society for testing and materials.
2. "Motor vehicle fuel" means a substance or combination of substances which is intended to be or is capable of being used for the purpose of propelling or running by combustion any internal combustion engine and is kept for sale or sold for that purpose. The products commonly known as kerosene and distillate or petroleum products of lower gravity (Baume scale), when not used to propel a motor vehicle or for compounding or combining with a motor vehicle fuel, are exempt from this chapter except as provided in section 214A.2A.
3. "Motor vehicle fuel storage tank" means an aboveground or belowground container that is a fixture, used to keep an accumulation of motor vehicle fuel.
4. "MTBE" means methyl tertiary butyl ether.
5. "Oxygenate octane enhancer" means oxygen-containing compounds, including but not limited to alcohols, ethers, or ethanol.
6. "Retail dealer" shall mean and include any person, firm, partnership, association, or corporation who operates, maintains, or conducts, either in person, or by any agent, employee, or servant, any place of business, filling station, pump station, or tank wagon, from which any motor vehicle fuel, as defined herein, is sold or offered for sale, at retail, or to the final or ultimate consumer.
7. "Sell" means to sell or to offer for sale.
8. "Wholesale dealer" shall mean and include any person, firm, partnership, association, or corporation, other than retail dealers as defined in subsection 3 of this section, who sells, keeps, or holds, for sale, or purchase for the purpose of sale within this state, any motor vehicle fuel.
[C31, 35, § 5093-d1; C39, § 5095.01; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, § 323.1; C73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 214A.1]
85 Acts, ch 76, §1; 86 Acts, ch 1146, § 1; 86 Acts, ch 1245, § 644; 89 Acts, ch 75, § 1; 2000 Acts, ch 1224, §27
Referred to in § 159A.3, 159A.4, 214.11
Further definitions, see § 189.1
Previous Section 214.12
Next Section 214A.2
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001