As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Active contractor" means a person who owns a commodity that is produced by a contract producer at the contract producer's contract operation pursuant to a production contract executed pursuant to section 202.2.
2. "Commodity" means livestock, raw milk, or a crop.
3. "Contract crop field" means farmland where a crop is produced according to a production contract executed pursuant to section 202.2 by a contract producer who holds a legal interest in the farmland.
4. "Contract livestock facility" means an animal feeding operation as defined in section 455B.161, in which livestock or raw milk is produced according to a production contract executed pursuant to section 202.2 by a contract producer who holds a legal interest in the animal feeding operation. "Contract livestock facility" includes a confinement feeding operation as defined in section 455B.161, an open feedlot, or an area which is used for the raising of crops or other vegetation and upon which livestock is fed for slaughter or is allowed to graze or feed.
5. "Contract operation" means a contract livestock facility or contract crop field.
6. "Contract producer" means a person who holds a legal interest in a contract operation and who produces a commodity at the contract producer's contract operation under a production contract executed pursuant to section 202.2.
7. "Contractor" means an active contractor or a passive contractor.
8. a. "Crop" means a plant used for food, animal feed, fiber, or oil, if the plant is classified as a forage or cereal plant, including but not limited to alfalfa, barley, buckwheat, corn, flax, forage, millet, oats, popcorn, rye, sorghum, soybeans, sunflowers, wheat, and grasses used for forage or silage.
b. A "crop" does not include trees or nuts or fruit grown on trees; sod; shrubs; greenhouse plants; or plants or plant parts produced for precommercial, experimental, or research purposes.
9. "Farmland" means agricultural land that is suitable for use in farming as defined in section 9H.1.
10. "Livestock" means beef cattle, dairy cattle, sheep, or swine.
11. "Open feedlot" means an unroofed or partially roofed animal feeding operation in which no crop, vegetation, or forage growth or residue cover is maintained during the period that animals are confined in the operation.
12. "Passive contractor" means a person who furnishes management services to a contract producer, and who does not own a commodity that is produced by the contract producer at the contract producer's contract operation according to a production contract which is executed pursuant to section 202.2.
13. "Produce" means to do any of the following:
a. Provide feed or services relating to the care and feeding of livestock. If the livestock is dairy cattle, "produce" includes milking the dairy cattle and storing raw milk at the contract producer's contract livestock facility.
b. Provide for planting, raising, harvesting, and storing a crop. "Produce" includes preparing the soil for planting and nurturing the crop by the application of fertilizers or soil conditioners as defined in section 200.3 or pesticides as defined in section 206.2.
14. "Production contract" means an oral or written agreement executed pursuant to section 202.2 that provides for the production of a commodity or the provision of management services relating to the production of a commodity by a contract producer.
99 Acts, ch 169, §2, 22-24
Referred to in § 579B.1
Previous Section 201A.11
Next Section 202.2
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001