State employees are granted, except as provided in the fourth paragraph of this section, the following holidays off from employment with pay:
1. New Year's Day, January 1.
2. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday, the third Monday in January.
3. Memorial Day, the last Monday in May.
4. Independence Day, July 4.
5. Labor Day, the first Monday in September.
6. Veterans Day, November 11.
7. Thanksgiving Day, the fourth Thursday in November.
8. Friday after Thanksgiving, the Friday following Thanksgiving Day.
9. Christmas Day, December 25.
10. Two days of paid leave each year to be added to the vacation allowance and accrued under the provisions of section 70A.1.
The appointing authority shall grant not more than four additional days of paid leave each year as required to implement contract provisions negotiated pursuant to chapter 20.
The executive council may designate days off from employment with pay in addition to those enumerated in this section for state employees at its discretion.
If a holiday enumerated in this section falls on Saturday, the preceding Friday shall be granted and if a holiday enumerated in this section falls on Sunday, the following Monday shall be granted. In those cases, where by nature of the employment a state employee must be required to work on a holiday the provisions of the first paragraph of this section shall not apply, however, compensation shall be made on the basis of the employee's straight time hourly rate for a forty-hour work week and shall be made in either compensatory time off or cash payment, at the discretion of the appointing authority unless otherwise provided for in a collective bargaining agreement. Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, an employee of the state who does not accrue sick leave or vacation, and who works on a holiday, shall receive regular pay for the hours worked on that holiday and shall not otherwise earn holiday compensatory pay.
A holiday or paid leave granted to a state employee under this section shall be in addition to vacation time to which a state employee is entitled under section 70A.1.
[C75, 77, 79, 81, § 33.2]
84 Acts, ch 1180, § 7; 86 Acts, ch 1163, § 1-3
C93, § 1C.2
Referred to in § 200A.8, 252I.1, 421.17A
Previous Section 1C.1
Next Section 1C.3
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001