The products enumerated below shall be labeled on the side or top of the container or package in which placed, kept, offered or exposed for sale, or sold as prescribed in sections 189.9 to 189.12, inclusive, except that the label shall be printed in letters not less than three-quarters inch in height and one-half inch in width and subject to the following regulations:
1. Renovated butter. Renovated butter shall be labeled with the words "Renovated Butter", and if offered or exposed for sale or sold in prints or rolls the wrapper of each and the container as required above shall be so labeled. If such butter is offered or exposed for sale uncovered and not in a container or package, a placard containing the required label shall be attached to the mass so as to be easily seen by the purchaser.
2. Oleomargarine. No person shall sell or offer for sale, colored oleo, oleomargarine or margarine unless--such oleo, oleomargarine or margarine is packaged; the net weight of the contents of any package sold in a retail establishment is one pound or less; there appears on the label of the package the word "oleo", "oleomargarine" or "margarine" in type or lettering at least as large as any other type or lettering on such label, and a full and accurate statement of all the ingredients contained in such oleo, oleomargarine or margarine; and each part of the contents of the package is contained in a wrapper which bears the word "oleo", "oleomargarine" or "margarine" in type or lettering not smaller than twenty-point type.
For the purposes of this chapter the term "oleo", "oleomargarine" or "margarine" includes all substances, mixtures and compounds known as oleo, oleomargarine or margarine, and all substances, mixtures and compounds which have a consistence similar to that of butter and which contain any edible oils or fats other than milk fat if made in imitation or semblance of butter. For the purposes of this chapter colored oleo, oleomargarine or margarine is oleo, oleomargarine or margarine to which any color has been added.
Whenever coloring of any kind has been added it shall be clearly stated on both inside wrapper and the outside package. The ingredients of oleo, oleomargarine or margarine shall be listed on both the inside wrapper and outside package in the order of the amounts of ingredients in the package.
Such oleo, oleomargarine or margarine shall contain vitamin "A" in such quantity that the finished oleo, oleomargarine or margarine contains not less than fifteen thousand United States Pharmacopoeia units of vitamin "A" per pound, as determined by the method prescribed in the Pharmacopoeia of the United States for the total biological vitamin "A" activity.
3. Imitation cheese. Imitation cheese shall be labeled with the words "Imitation Cheese" on the cheese and on the package.
4. Nonfat dry milk. For the purposes of this chapter the product resulting from the removal of fat and water from milk and containing the lactose, milk proteins, and milk minerals in the same relative proportions as in the fresh milk from which it was made may be labeled and sold as "nonfat dry milk". It shall contain not over five percent by weight of moisture and the fat content shall not be over one and one-half percent by weight unless otherwise indicated.
5. All bottles, containers, and packages enclosing milk or milk products shall be conspicuously labeled or marked with:
a. The name of the contents as given in the definitions of this chapter and chapters 190 and 192.
b. The word "reconstituted" or "recombined" if the product is made by reconstitution or recombination.
c. The grade of the contents.
d. The word "pasteurized" if the contents are pasteurized and the identity of the plant where pasteurized.
e. The word "raw" if the contents are raw and the name or other identity of the producer.
f. The designation vitamin "D" and the number of U.S.P. units per quart in the case of vitamin "D" milk or milk products.
g. The volume or proportion of water to be added for recombining in the case of concentrated milk or milk products.
h. The words "nonfat milk solids added" and the percentage added if such solids have been added, except that this requirement shall not apply to reconstituted or recombined milk and milk products.
i. The words "artificially sweetened" in the name if nonnutritive or artificial sweeteners or both are used.
j. The common name of stabilizers, distillates, and ingredients, provided that:
(1) Only the identity of the milk producer shall be required on cans delivered to a milk plant as provided in chapter 192 which receives only grade "A" raw milk for pasteurization, and which immediately dumps, washes, and returns the cans to the milk producer.
(2) The identity of both milk producer and the grade shall be required on cans delivered to a milk plant as provided in chapter 192 which receives both grade "A" raw milk for pasteurization and ungraded raw milk and which immediately dumps, washes, and returns the cans to the milk producer.
(3) In the case of concentrated milk products, the specific name of the product shall be substituted for the generic term "concentrated milk products", e.g., "homogenized concentrated milk", "concentrated skim milk", "concentrated chocolate milk", "concentrated chocolate flavored low fat milk".
(4) In the case of flavored milk or flavored reconstituted milk, the name of the principal flavor shall be substituted for the word "flavored".
(5) In the case of cultured milk and milk products, the special type culture used may be substituted for the word "cultured", e.g., "acidophilus buttermilk", "Bulgarian buttermilk", and "yogurt".
6. All vehicles and transport tanks containing milk or milk products shall be legibly marked with the name and address of the milk plant or hauler in possession of the contents.
7. Tanks transporting raw milk and milk products to a milk plant from sources of supply not under the supervision of the secretary or authorized municipal corporation are required to be marked with the name and address of the milk plant or hauler and shall be sealed; in addition, for each such shipment, a shipping statement shall be prepared containing at least the following information:
a. Shipper's name, address, and permit number.
b. Permit number of hauler, if not employee of shipper.
c. Point of origin of shipment.
d. Tanker identity number.
e. Name of product.
f. Weight of product.
g. Grade of product.
h. Temperature of product.
i. Date of shipment.
j. Name of supervising health authority at the point of origin.
k. Whether the contents are raw, pasteurized, or otherwise heat treated.
Such statement shall be prepared in triplicate and shall be kept on file by the shipper, the consignee, and the carrier for a period of six months for the information of the secretary.
8. The labeling information which is required on all bottles, containers, or packages of milk or milk products shall be in letters of an acceptable size, kind, and color satisfactory to the secretary and shall contain no marks or words which are misleading.
9. Milk and milk products are misbranded:
a. When their container bears or accompanies any false or misleading written, printed, or graphic matter.
b. When such milk and milk products do not conform to their definitions as contained in chapters 190, 191 and 192.
c. When such products are not labeled in accordance with this section.
[C97, § 2517, 4989; S13, § 2515-b, -c; C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, § 3068; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 191.2]
91 Acts, ch 74, §8; 92 Acts, ch 1163, §45
Previous Section 191.1
Next Section 191.3
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001