In the enforcement of this chapter the department of agriculture and land stewardship shall have power to:
1. Make all necessary rules for the suppression and prevention of infectious and contagious diseases among animals within the state.
2. Provide for quarantining animals affected with infectious or contagious diseases, or that have been exposed to such diseases, whether within or without the state.
3. Determine and employ the most efficient and practical means for the prevention, suppression, control, and eradication of contagious or infectious diseases among animals.
4. Establish, maintain, enforce, and regulate quarantine and other measures relating to the movements and care of diseased animals.
5. Provide for the disinfection of suspected yards, buildings, and articles, and the destruction of such animals as may be deemed necessary.
6. Enter any place where any animal is at the time located, or where it has been kept, or where the carcass of such animal may be, for the purpose of examining it in any way that may be necessary to determine whether it was or is infected with any contagious or infectious disease.
7. Regulate or prohibit the arrival in, departure from, and passage through the state, of animals infected with or exposed to any contagious disease; and in case of violation of any such regulation or prohibition, to detain any animal at the owner's cost.
8. Regulate or prohibit the bringing of animals into the state, which, in its opinion, for any reason, may be detrimental to the health of animals in the state.
9. Co-operate with and arrange for assistance from the United States department of agriculture in performing its duties under this chapter.
10. Impose civil penalties as provided in this chapter. The department may refer cases for prosecution to the attorney general.
[S13, § 2538-s; C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, § 2643; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 163.1]
91 Acts, ch 32, §1
Previous Section 162.20
Next Section 163.2
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001