1. A county may create an economic development enterprise zone as authorized in this division, subject to certification by the department of economic development, by designating up to one percent of the county area for that purpose. An eligible county containing a city whose boundaries extend into an adjacent county may establish an enterprise zone in an area of the city located in the adjacent county if the adjacent county's board of supervisors adopts a resolution approving the establishment of the enterprise zone in the city and the two counties enter into an agreement pursuant to chapter 28E regarding the establishment of the enterprise zone. A county may establish more than one enterprise zone.
2. A city with a population of twenty-four thousand or more, as shown by the 1990 certified federal census, may create an economic development enterprise zone as authorized in this division, subject to certification by the department of economic development, by designating one or more contiguous census tracts, as determined in the most recent federal census, or designating other geographic units approved by the department of economic development for that purpose. If there is an area in the city which meets the requirements for eligibility for an urban or rural enterprise community under Title XIII of the federal Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993, such area shall be designated by the state an economic development enterprise zone. The area meeting the requirements for eligibility for an urban or rural enterprise community shall not be included for the purpose of determining the area limitation pursuant to subsection 4. In creating an enterprise zone, a city with a population of twenty-four thousand or more, as shown by the 1990 certified federal census, may designate as part of the area tracts or approved geographic units located in a contiguous city if such tracts or approved geographic units meet the criteria and the city agrees to being included. The city may establish more than one enterprise zone. Reference in this division to "city" means a city with a population of twenty-four thousand or more, as shown by the 1990 certified federal census.
3. a. A county may designate an enterprise zone within an area located in one or more contiguous census tracts or other geographic units of the county that meets at least two of the following distress criteria:
(1) The area has a per capita income of nine thousand six hundred dollars or less based according to the 1990 census.
(2) The area has a family poverty rate of twelve percent or more according to the 1990 census.
(3) Ten percent or more of the housing units in the area are vacant.
(4) The valuations of each class of property in the designated area of the census tract is seventy-five percent or less of the countywide average for that classification based upon the most recent valuations for property tax purposes.
(5) The area is a blighted area, as defined in section 403.17.
b. The department shall not approve more than five enterprise zones designated under this subsection prior to July 1, 2001.
4. A county or city may apply to the department for an area to be certified as an enterprise zone at any time prior to July 1, 2003. However, the total amount of land designated as enterprise zones under subsections 1 and 2 shall not exceed in the aggregate one percent of the total county area.
5. An enterprise zone designation shall remain in effect for ten years following the date of certification. Any state or local incentives or assistance that may be conferred must be conferred before the designation expires. However, the benefits of the incentive or assistance may continue beyond the expiration.
97 Acts, ch 144, §2; 98 Acts, ch 1175, § 6; 2000 Acts, ch 1213, §3, 4, 10
Referred to in § 15E.194
Previous Section 15E.191
Next Section 15E.193
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001