For purposes of this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Business" means and includes every trade, occupation, or profession.
2. "Communicable disease" means any disease spread from person to person or animal to person.
3. "Contagious or infectious disease" means hepatitis in any form, meningococcal disease, tuberculosis, and any other disease, with the exception of AIDS or HIV infection as defined in section 141A.1, determined to be life-threatening to a person exposed to the disease as established by rules adopted by the department, based upon a determination by the state epidemiologist and in accordance with guidelines of the centers for disease control and prevention of the United States department of health and human services.
4. "Department" means the Iowa department of public health.
5. "Designated officer" means a person who is designated by a department, agency, division, or service organization to act as an infection control liaison officer.
6. "Emergency care provider" means a person who is trained and authorized by federal or state law to provide emergency medical assistance or treatment, for compensation or in a voluntary capacity, including but not limited to all of the following:
a. An emergency medical care provider as defined in section 147A.1.
b. A health care provider.
c. A fire fighter.
d. A peace officer.
"Emergency care provider" also includes a person who renders direct emergency aid without compensation.
7. "Exposure" means the risk of contracting disease.
8. "Exposure-prone procedure" means a procedure performed by a health care provider which presents a recognized risk of percutaneous injury to the health care provider and if such an injury occurs, the health care provider's blood is likely to contact a patient's body cavity, subcutaneous tissues, or mucous membranes, or an exposure-prone procedure as defined by the centers for disease control and prevention of the United States department of health and human services.
9. "HBV" means hepatitis B virus.
10. "Health care facility" means a health care facility as defined in section 135C.1, an ambulatory surgical center, or a clinic.
11. "Health care provider" means a person licensed to practice medicine and surgery, osteopathic medicine and surgery, osteopathy, chiropractic, podiatry, nursing, dentistry, optometry, or as a physician assistant, dental hygienist, or acupuncturist.
12. "HIV" means HIV as defined in section 141A.1.
13. "Hospital" means hospital as defined in section 135B.1.
14. "Isolation" means the separation of persons or animals presumably or actually affected with a communicable disease or who are disease carriers for the usual period of communicability of that disease in such places, marked by placards if necessary, and under such conditions as will prevent the direct or indirect conveyance of the infectious agent or contagion to susceptible persons.
15. "Local board" means the local board of health.
16. "Local department" means the local health department.
17. "Placard" means a warning sign to be erected and displayed on the periphery of a quarantine area, forbidding entry to or exit from the area.
18. "Quarantinable disease" means any communicable disease designated by rule adopted by the department as requiring quarantine or isolation to prevent its spread.
19. "Quarantine" means the limitation of freedom of movement of persons or animals that have been exposed to a communicable disease within specified limits marked by placards for a period of time equal to the longest usual incubation period of the disease in such manner as to prevent the spread of a communicable disease which affects people.
20. "Reportable disease" means any disease designated by rule adopted by the department requiring its occurrence to be reported to an appropriate authority.
21. "Sexually transmitted disease or infection" means a disease or infection as identified by rules adopted by the department, based upon a determination by the state epidemiologist and in accordance with guidelines of the centers for disease control and prevention of the United States department of health and human services.
22. "Terminal cleaning" means cleaning procedures defined in the isolation guidelines issued by the centers for disease control and prevention of the United States department of health and human services.
2000 Acts, ch 1066, §2
Referred to in § 141A.9
Previous Section 139A.1
Next Section 139A.3
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001