As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Board of review" or "board" means the state building code board of review created by this chapter.
2. "Building" means a combination of any materials, whether portable or fixed, to form a structure affording facilities or shelter for persons, animals or property. The word "building" includes any part of a building unless the context clearly requires a different meaning.
3. "Building regulations" means any law, bylaw, rule, resolution, regulation, ordinance, or code or compilation enacted or adopted, by the state or any governmental subdivision, including departments, boards, bureaus, commissions or other agencies, relating to the construction, reconstruction, alteration, conversion, repair or use of buildings and installation of equipment therein. The term shall not include zoning ordinances or subdivision regulations.
4. "Commissioner" means the state building code commissioner created by this chapter.
5. "Construction" means the construction, erection, reconstruction, alteration, conversion, repair, equipping of buildings, structures or facilities, and requirements or standards relating to or affecting materials used in connection therewith, including provisions for safety and sanitary conditions.
6. "Council" means the state building code advisory council created by this chapter.
7. "Equipment" means plumbing, heating, electrical, ventilating, conditioning, refrigerating equipment, elevators, dumbwaiters, escalators, and other mechanical facilities or installations.
8. "Factory-built structure" means any structure which is, wholly or in substantial part, made, fabricated, formed, or assembled in manufacturing facilities for installation or assembly and installation, on a building site. "Factory-built structure" includes the term "mobile home" as defined in section 435.1.
9. "Governmental subdivision" means any city, county, or combination thereof.
10. "Ground anchoring system" means any device or combination of devices used to securely anchor a mobile home to the ground.
11. "Ground support system" means any device or combination of devices placed beneath a mobile home and used to provide support.
12. "Installation" means the assembly of factory-built structures on site and the process of affixing factory-built structures to land, a foundation, footings, or an existing building.
13. "Local building department" means an agency of any governmental subdivision charged with the administration, supervision, or enforcement of building regulations, approval of plans, inspection of buildings, or the issuance of permits, licenses, certificates and similar documents, prescribed or required by state or local building regulations.
14. "Local building regulations" means building regulations adopted by a governmental subdivision.
15. "Manufacture" is the process of making, fabricating, constructing, forming, or assembling a product from raw, unfinished, or semi-finished materials.
16. "New construction" means construction of buildings and factory-built structures which is commenced on or after January 1, 1978. Notwithstanding the definition in subsection 5 of this section, when the term "new construction" appears in this chapter, "construction" is limited to the erection, reconstruction or conversion of a building or factory-built structure and additions to buildings or factory-built structures and does not include renovations or repairs.
17. "Out-of-state contractor" means a person whose principal place of business is in another state, and which contracts to perform construction, installation, or any other work covered by this chapter, in this state.
18. "Owner" means the owner of the premises, a mortgagee or vendee in possession, an assignee of rents, or a receiver, executor, trustee, lessee or other person in control of a building or structure.
19. "Performance objective" establishes design and engineering criteria without reference to specific methods of construction.
20. "Permanent site" means any lot or parcel of land on which a mobile home used as a dwelling or place of business, is located for ninety consecutive days except a construction site when the mobile home is used by a commercial contractor as a construction office or storage room.
21. "State agency" means a state department, board, bureau, commission, or agency of the state of Iowa.
22. "State building code" or "code" means the state building code provided for in section 103A.7.
23. "State historic building code" means the alternative building regulations and building standards for certain historic buildings provided for in section 103A.41.
24. "Structure" means that which is built or constructed, an edifice or building of any kind, or any piece of work artificially built up or composed of parts joined together in some definite manner except transmission and distribution structures of public utilities. The word "structure" includes any part of a structure unless the context clearly requires a different meaning.
25. "Tiedown system" means a ground support system and a ground anchoring system used in concert to provide anchoring and support for a mobile home.
[C73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 103A.3]
84 Acts, ch 1113, § 1; 87 Acts, ch 60, § 3
Referred to in § 135C.9
Previous Section 103A.2
Next Section 103A.4
© 2001 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Mon Jan 22 17:13:42 CST 2001